Science Forums

Is it there or is your attention elsewhere?

I've just become aware of something that I wasn't aware of before because I didn't compare the incidents. That is, seeing strange things in the sky (apart from UFOs) and people's reactions/ failure to react to them.

I've mentioned the fact before that none of my school friends reacted to a huge UFO, clearly visible for at least ten minutes over our school, despite its size and strangeness - well my wife Margaret has twice failed to notice odd aerial phenomena, even though they too took up a large chunk of the heavens. In the first incident there was a huge area of Nacreous (Mother of Pearl) sky, covering the Black Isle where we lived at the time and she was so busy talking, she didn't notice this (Not even sure if 'that' made the local press anymore than the childhood UFO did).

Then there was the incident, where driving back to the Highlands of Scotland from England, I saw an odd type of cloud. Again she didn't react to it despite its bizarre appearance and size. To me this is explained by the fact that when we are talking, we're accessing our thoughts and not seeing the outside world, much as a crocodile goes blind when swallowing (pushes its eyes into its sockets, to assist this process).

To see examples of these types of phenomena, visit the Cloud Appreciation Society's website and look up Nacreous Sky and Asperatus Clouds

• 1 month later...

I've just become aware of something that I wasn't aware of before because I didn't compare the incidents. That is, seeing strange things in the sky (apart from UFOs) and people's reactions/ failure to react to them.

I've mentioned the fact before that none of my school friends reacted to a huge UFO, clearly visible for at least ten minutes over our school, despite its size and strangeness - well my wife Margaret has twice failed to notice odd aerial phenomena, even though they too took up a large chunk of the heavens. In the first incident there was a huge area of Nacreous (Mother of Pearl) sky, covering the Black Isle where we lived at the time and she was so busy talking, she didn't notice this (Not even sure if 'that' made the local press anymore than the childhood UFO did).

Then there was the incident, where driving back to the Highlands of Scotland from England, I saw an odd type of cloud. Again she didn't react to it despite its bizarre appearance and size. To me this is explained by the fact that when we are talking, we're accessing our thoughts and not seeing the outside world, much as a crocodile goes blind when swallowing (pushes its eyes into its sockets, to assist this process).

To see examples of these types of phenomena, visit the Cloud Appreciation Society's website and look up Nacreous Sky and Asperatus Clouds

Perhaps there are some of us that are just more observant by nature, genetically programmed to notice oddities, things out of the norm. I know that there are many times when people will not remark on a particular event, however something odd will stand out exceedingly so to me.

Example: When I was a teenager, I observed a long haired young man, walking across into a parking lot that I was talking to some friends in. I took note of what he was wearing, facial features and so forth - something just 'stood out' about him. Even to this day, I have a picture of this man in my memory.

My friends that I was with, didn't notice anything about him, even though I commented to them something about him just seemed odd.

A short time later, two policemen came through the section of the parking lot that we were in, asking if we'd seen a man walk through. Somehow - I knew this was the same man they were looking for. I gave the description, right down to the colour of socks this guy was wearing and how he was wearing them (odd I know, but that's what I observed) and the direction he went - the man had robbed a pizza parlour just over in the next parking lot, and had gotten away on foot. They followed up on the lead, found the guy walking and sure enough it was him.

The police commented that they'd never been given such a complete description and asked why I had remembered him in such detail, I said I wasn't entirely certain, but that he just looked 'odd'.

Also, a girlfriend of mine and I used to chat at a place that is now defunct, and someone came in and tried to pose as her. I knew it wasn't her because of sentence structure, and because of the way the person spelled things and then I even went as far as to tell him who I thought he was.....and I was correct.

Perhaps you're like me, and just notice things most don't.