Science Forums

New essay: Physics in Age of Fakery

aguest

The "essay" you present says that Mather (Nobeal Laureate, Cosmology) was demoted or punished by NASA when his work was seen to have been a fraud.

However, Mather is currently the project scientist for the James Webb Space Telescope, a space telescope to be launched to L2 no earlier than 2013. That does NOT sound like a punishment to me.

The screed you have posted is sophomoric, full of lies and falsehoods, and is overall a pathetic outcry against science.

The "essay" you present says that Mather (Nobeal Laureate, Cosmology) was demoted or punished by NASA when his work was seen to have been a fraud.

However, Mather is currently the project scientist for the James Webb Space Telescope, a space telescope to be launched to L2 no earlier than 2013. That does NOT sound like a punishment to me.

The screed you have posted is sophomoric, full of lies and falsehoods, and is overall a pathetic outcry against science.

I will explain.

Mather was already Senior Project Scientist for JWST before he got the Nobel Prize. So the statement that he was demoted to the pre-Nobel status is correct. Mather today has absolutely nothing new from NASA because of his Nobel Prize. What he was given by NASA because of the Prize has all been taken away from him.

The JWST chief scientist is not Mather, but a man named Eric Smith. And the JWST Deputy Senior Project Scientist, Jonathan Gardner, is actually Mather's official boss. So Mather is being watched closely from both directions, and therefore NASA may see no need to further humiliate him by taking away this last fig leaf.

I... Mather was already Senior Project Scientist for JWST before he got the Nobel Prize. So the statement that he was demoted to the pre-Nobel status is correct. Mather today has absolutely nothing new from NASA because of his Nobel Prize. What he was given by NASA because of the Prize has all been taken away from him...
Going back to one's previous job is quite common after winning the Nobel Prize.

NASA doesn't give "promotions" for winning prizes.

Nor does continuing his previous responsibilities rank as a "demotion".

You do not "sound" like a reasonable person sharing factual information.

You do sound like a very bitter or fanatic person -- or someone who has fallen out of a tall tree.

You must provide some documentation for these extreme and rather hateful accusations or you will be banned.