Science Forums

Linear algebra Q

mang73

Could someone help me here please?

Let V and W be two vector spaces and T: V -> W be a linear map. Define

T(inv) (0) = { u element of V l T(u) = 0 }

where 0 is the zero element in W. Also define,

T(V) = { T(u) l u element of V},

the image of V under T. Show that T(inv) (0) is a subspace of V and T(V) is a subspace of W.

Your help is much appreciated!

These two definitions are often called the kernel of T, ker T, and the image of T, img T.

Let's show that ker T is a subspace of V, using linearity of T it isn't hard. 0 belongs to ker T because T(0) = 0, trivial. Let's show that if u and v belong to ker T so does au + bv. The hypothesis means T(u) = 0 and T(v) = 0, so by linearity au + bv = a0 + b0 = 0, so au + bv belongs to ker T.

Now for img T. Does 0 belong to it? This is also trivial, using again T(0) = 0. If u and v both belong to img T, does au + bv too? The hypothesis means there will be two elements in V that map to u and v. The linear combination of these belongs to V and its image through T will, by linearity, be the corresponding linear combination of u and v which, therefore, belongs to img T.

Helpful? Or is some detail not too clear?

Could someone help me here please?

Let V and W be two vector spaces and T: V -> W be a linear map. Define

T(inv) (0) = { u element of V l T(u) = 0 }

where 0 is the zero element in W. Also define,

T(V) = { T(u) l u element of V},

the image of V under T. Show that T(inv) (0) is a subspace of V and T(V) is a subspace of W.

Your help is much appreciated!

I liked Qfwfq explanation quite well. I was impressed that he got you were looking for ker T.

I see you have V, W two vector space where T: V -> W is a linear map. Next line I get confused.

Do you mean

T^ -1 (0) = { u element of V | T(u) = 0 } or that T(inv) (0) means T(0) is an involution ? I wasn't sure.

Maddog

Do you mean

T^ -1 (0) = { u element of V | T(u) = 0 } or that T(inv) (0) means T(0) is an involution ? I wasn't sure.

Actually, without being fussy, it seemed obvious that T(inv) (0) meant the anti-image of 0.

Strictly, T isn't invertible if this anti-image has more than the null vector but the idea was clear enough, you can consider it a thing similar to the inverse; it's kind of the idea behind Green functions.

I'm glad you found it helpful...

is this the proof itself or is it guidlines and I need to inspect it further?
I didn't want to be too prolix. It can be said slightly more in detail, especially the second part. To pass a test you would probably need to but it can be a matter of working it out. Choose names for the "two elements in V that map to u and v" like:

T(p) = u

T(q) = v

then you can write T(ap + bq) = aT(p) + bT(q) by linearity. This is the image of an element of V and it is also au + bv. Done along these lines it should be good enough to pass a test. :xx: