Science Forums

Super Green House

I have vacation going on and my teachers have given our class 50 days as a time period to create a "working" model.Our science teacher is telling us to make something new which basically the problem.Anyways these are the themes given :-

1) Green Energy

2) Biology in Human Welfare

3) Mathematics in Everyday life

4) Information and Communication Technology

5) Science and Technology in Sports

Anyways after a lot of though I'm still clueless and have no idea which theme to pick.But on the other side my head is getting bombarded with wonderful ideas.

The latest idea which I got is of creating a super green house which is something like this.

A couple of days ago my teacher was giving a lecture in the class about photosynthesis.He said that photosynthesis has maximum effect in "purple/violet color" and the effect decreases above 40 degree C.

Anyways that thought kept roaming in my head and I decided to make a model of "Super green house".This however will be built on a small scale.To get it started I'm thinking that I can cover the glass on the roof of the model with a purple/violet transparent sheet to make the color of sun rays purple or violet.This should ( I'm not sure if it can) maximize the effect or rate of photosynthesis.

On the base of the model I'm thinking of planting a "Neem" plant (Azadirachta indica) in a plant pot and cover the plant pot with mini solar panels (not sure if there is something like that).So while the photosynthesis is taking place at its maximum we are also trying to produce energy.

Now as I mentioned earlier that the rate or effect decreases above 40 degree C, to take care of that i was thinking of adding some heat absorbing material on the walls of the model or if possible something that can convert the heat into electricity (Still not sure about this one).After all that is done to give it a finishing touch I can attach an electric bulb to it to show that there are various ways humans and plants can co-exist without harming each other and at the same time fulfilling each others needs.

So, that is what is going in my head.Please post reply to this thread if you think some of my information is wrong or if there can be any alternative thing that can be added to the model.If possible do reply with your thoughts on whether this model can be a success or not.

Alpine :)

Hi and welcome to the fora, Alpine.

I don't think this needs to be a project that solves all of the world's problems at once. But it's nice to see you're thinking in that direction. There's gotta be a neat project that would be fairly easy to do and interpret.

Start smaller, you only have 50 days.

First off, the purple filters cut down on most of the light except for the purple (but they don't give you extra light of purple or any color), and I doubt that you'll find solar panels that work best with just one color of filtered light. That filtering will keep your greenhouse from heating up as much though, so maybe trying to convert that heat to electricity would not be a very rewarding return.

But greenhouse over-heating is a common problem. Rather than finding some high-tech "heat absorbing material" solution for changing heat into electricity, maybe just the heat flow rising through a roof vent could be directed to drive a fan that could then be linked to a generator to produce some electricity, but there may not be enough momentum to drive a generator (i'm no engineer).

Making charcoal with a gasifier could be a project, but I'm biased towards that (don't get me started, unless...).

~ :rolleyes:

I just ran across a neat idea: [google] Robots in Agriculture.

service-robots.org - agriculture & harvesting

Seems as if this was a new idea back in the mid-90's, but something must have happened to sidetrack things.

===

...Or something along those line, which combines several of your topics.

...maybe robots to pull weeds or detect pest infestations... GPS and all.

~