Science Forums

What Width/Diameter means?

Hi there?

The definitions of "width" and "diameter" are easy to find in Wikipedia. I'm surprised you haven't already looked there.

The attached drawing shows two objects, a circle and a rectangle. The "width" of an object is the LENGTH from one side of the object to the other side.

The "diameter" applies only to circles, or objects that have circle cross-section, like a cylinder or pipe. It is the LENGTH of a line that goes through the center of the circle. The "diameter" of a circle is the SAME as the "width" of the circle.

These ideas are very useful everywhere, especially in construction. If you are laying a pipeline, you must know the diameter of the pipe. If you want to move an appliance into a kitchen, you must first know the width of the kitchen door.

Hi there?

The definitions of "width" and "diameter" are easy to find in Wikipedia. I'm surprised you haven't already looked there.

The attached drawing shows two objects, a circle and a rectangle. The "width" of an object is the LENGTH from one side of the object to the other side.

The "diameter" applies only to circles, or objects that have circle cross-section, like a cylinder or pipe. It is the LENGTH of a line that goes through the center of the circle. The "diameter" of a circle is the SAME as the "width" of the circle.

These ideas are very useful everywhere, especially in construction. If you are laying a pipeline, you must know the diameter of the pipe. If you want to move an appliance into a kitchen, you must first know the width of the kitchen door.

Thank you for your answer!

But what I want to ask it´s the reason between the width and diameter because I found a web page where they have this reason.

(Civil Turbojet/Turbofan Specifications)

In this page have one parameter: (width/diameter) = 'a number' ---> I don´t understand what this relation means!

In a turbofan we have the Fan diameter and I understand this but in a turbofan I don´t see why this relation between those two.

I hope you understand me better now.

Sorry if my question was poorly made.

... In this page have one parameter: (width/diameter) = 'a number' ---> I don´t understand what this relation means! ...
I'm very sure that when they use "width/diameter" they do not mean "width divided by diameter".

They mean the "width" where the component is not necessarily a circle, OR the "diameter" if the component is a circle or cylinder.

So, if they give a value of 42 (inches) for a turbine fan, that's 42 (inches) diameter.

But if it is for a landing gear truck, that's 42 (inches) width.

Does this help?

But what I want to ask it´s the reason between the width and diameter because I found a web page where they have this reason.

(Civil Turbojet/Turbofan Specifications)

In this page have one parameter: (width/diameter) = 'a number' ---> I don´t understand what this relation means!

The page you reference has a column titled “Width/Diameter [in]”. This means, I’m fairly certain, "width, as a diameter, in inches", the diameter of a circle, in inches, that can enclose all cross sections of the outside of the jet engine. That is, if you had a hoop with the specified inside diameter, you could pass the dismounted engine through it.

It has another column labeled “Fan Diameter [in]”. This means the diameter of the intake fan blades, in inches.

As the fan blades of a jet engine are enclosed in it, “Fan Diameter” must always be less that “Width/Diameter”. Checking the table, it always is, by from 5 to 20 inches, about what I expect of jet engines of various sizes.

I believe you were confused, João, by the use of the “/” to mean “or” or “also called”, rather than the arithmetic operation of division. The numbers in the “Width/Diameter [in]” column are distances in inches, not the ratio (relation) “width divided by diameter.”

Does this answer your question?