Science Forums

Faster faster! Google internet...

geko

its an experiment, like Verizon fios, but what i would like to see is, if i can get our community to sign up and get a couple of drops of gigabit fiber, and distribute it over a town-wide wifi, i figure we'd need probably 4 15 dbi commercial grade omnis, as well as 16 105 degree 22dbi pannel antennas with 2 watt inline amps, meshed together with directional wi-max. These will mesh together to a central location which will actually provide network connectivity, filtering, etc, etc, but basically 4 separate stand-alone stations.

I figure if you make them into a station, get WRT54GL s with dd-wrt on them, stripped all the way down, so they are acting as an AP, 3 will be needed to cover 5 antenni, these will plug into a cisco switch, which will connect back to the mother station over a ubiquity bullet M and p2p (point to point) to the datacenter (whatever acts as a datacenter) into a ubiquiti Rocket m5.

cost per station:

ubiquiti m5 27 dbi airgrid: $70

ubiquiti bullet m2: $80

WRT54GL: $70 (3, you will need 3 to cover all the antenni)

15DBi omni: $150

22DBi 105 degree panel: $290 (x4)

2W amp with inline power injector: $299 (x4)

5 port gigabit cisco switch: $60

Total: $2926

Per "station", with relatively low cost for month-to-month power. These will serve probably in excess of 200 end nodes.

plus to set up one to test and act as PoC (proof of concept), we'll need a base station:

ubiquiti rocket m5: $90

base antenna: $160

Total: $3176

plus router (any box will do), plus the tubes... But basically, for a little over 10k you can hook up your local community with free wifi... Each station, if positioned correctly, you could cover about a mile to a mile plus diameter... I mean there will be other costs, you need to build whatever this whole thing will be based on, physically (the tower), you will need a weather-proof enclosure, you will need to run power to each station, but case and point being it's actually not all that expensive to provide free and good wifi coverage to your neighborhood, if you were thinking about it.

Problem with that is that you are limited in terms of speed (performance), now, if you could have a fiber drop to your house for reasonably cheap.....

Cripes Alexander you just said a bunch of stuff i have no clue about... but i've learn't that you're a savvy guy so i'll just take a leap of faith and agree!

I remember ages ago you were supporting free wi-fi though, great idea i think... although i think they would then put a tax on net usage maybe. I think google likes the idea as well as they give free wi fi in their own town if i read right.

...but wi fi technology for your area for about $10,000? Hell that's only about £6000... certainly something to keep in mind! Thanks.

Point is, this would be a great way to learn about networking in general, i mean when planning this out, you would have to figure in a bunch of things, but basically other then hardware 101 and wireless 111, you also get networking 111, because you have to manage routing, non centralized dhcp for a centralized network, with separate routers and fail-over routes and such. I mean you are talking iBGP, i mean basically you are creating your own private ASN :confused: which is always fun, you have to consider security, you have to consider traffic, you have to consider a lot things.

You could for example set up OLSR for multiple AP meshing, that way you can put up an autonomous ap with no internet connection, but as long as it has a connection to other APs (p2p @2.4 or 5.8GHz, or if its actually within reach) the OLSR will take care of routing the internet traffic through the stand alone ap, and back over other towers back to wherever tower your internet connection actually is on... and then if that is connecting to a node on your network, it would hit up the iBGP, which will send your wifi traffic over a nat to another bgp node (in town or otherwise) and this way you have internal network connectivity to any computer on any one of your friend's systems, as if they were on an internal network...

See this could so be an interesting project to do :naughty:

Great idea, Alex.

If I were a developer building a neighborhood of new homes, I would definitely incorporate this into the design. It could be rolled into homeowner fees. They already do something similar in many of the high rises, but why not incorporate it over a wider area.

As far as the Google ISP, it looks great for those that will have access to it, but since it is not a long-term rollout, but more of an experiment, I will not hold my breath on personally getting 1GBPS any time soon.

Freezy, it would cost nothing to run, if you have a decent connection, you can distribute the fee across, say 50 homes, and they are paying what 2 bucks a month for their internet connection... or you get 2 commercial drops (so 32 meg or so) for 2 towers and $5/mo for internet for 50 houses.... like i said, it would be able to handle over 200 simultaneous users, easy... and you could take your laptop and browse the internet while walking to your neighbor friend house or sitting on your lawn, or you could set up other wireless remote devices at your house, like say something that will turn on your lights and open the garage, when you are within range, or turn on the heat in the house, or turn all that stuff off when your phone is out of range... i mean possibility of a smarter house applications with a public wifi system are a lot greater :confused:

Freezy, it would cost nothing to run, if you have a decent connection, you can distribute the fee across, say 50 homes, and they are paying what 2 bucks a month for their internet connection... or you get 2 commercial drops (so 32 meg or so) for 2 towers and $5/mo for internet for 50 houses.... like i said, it would be able to handle over 200 simultaneous users, easy... and you could take your laptop and browse the internet while walking to your neighbor friend house or sitting on your lawn, or you could set up other wireless remote devices at your house, like say something that will turn on your lights and open the garage, when you are within range, or turn on the heat in the house, or turn all that stuff off when your phone is out of range... i mean possibility of a smarter house applications with a public wifi system are a lot greater :confused:

Great ideas, Alex!

I wonder how much of this is actually happening right now, at the middle-income suburban level. I haven't heard of any. It definitely seems cheap enough to enjoy much broader appreciation.

there are communities with distributed wifi, there are "smart" houses, but there is a lot more work to do to to get them to be less exclusive... also you have to realize, you are pushing technology to help save energy to people who drive a big truck to work daily, just because they can, and care only about who this years running back for their favorite football team is going to be, how they will play the 4th hole with their boss this friday, and what nightgown his wife chooses for their "private time" later on that night... unless you build it in and make it stupid simple to use and convince them that they need to, they wont use your smart technology, no matter how good an intent...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...