Science Forums

The new BE

if any of you have ever head of BE OS, you might consider their new release to use. BE has been dying for years, and many people would have never considered switching to it, but in developement was Zeta by yellow tab, they were designing a system that would be as fast as possible in the production environment, BE was a predisessor to OSX, and many parts of OSX were based off of it, but BE never really gained popularity. Zeta on the other hand has the potential to be pretty popular i think, the system was developedfor maximum performance, thus the 15 second boot times, and all kinds of other fun stuff. Comes prepackaged with loads of apps (and firefox browser :o), I'm currently considering to set it up for testing on my sisters computer, but Zeta, although based on unix, is not free, multilingual deluxe eddition will cost you 99 euro, or about $150, but its definately better than win :o

here are a lot of screenshots: http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=223&slide=1

Dont switch by any means nemo, you can make linux run like that, you nee to know what you are doing, but you definately can. Plus Be is i beleive a fork of AT&T unix that was rewritten, for Be but it is not exactly unix, unixish in a way, but not exactly unix. Linux is very rapidly developing at this moment, Linus says that the speed and the amount of the developement for the kernel is faster than it has ever been, although some people argue that the 2.6 code is really not as stable as it should be in comparison to 2.4, and that 2.7 should have been forked a long time ago for unstable developement...

The reason i posted about Zeta is that it is actually very good for company use, and for 99 euros you get a much better, faster, safer os with all the software you will ever need than microsoft will ever be, so just marely stating the fact that there is a better alternative, and you do not necessarily have to go Linux (although you'd be better off)