Science Forums

Migraine treatment cognition

paigetheoracle

Until recently I was using a drug to treat my migraine attacks as they occurred but I've now gone onto a prophylactic, to prevent them altogether. What I've noticed is that apart from sleeping better, it has had an effect in my responses to my daily/ weekly routines. By this I mean I was resistant to doing tasks around the house but have found since being on the new drug, that I carry out these tasks more often, rather than letting them build up.

This has taught me that sedation like this, has led me to be calmer and more in control of my life and that part of my problem, psychologically, was that I was letting things build up inside and out - that is physically and mentally (One mirroring the other).

The way I'd describe it is as an accumulation/ discharge cycle - I even have caught myself doing this with the anger, in that I draw in a large volume of air, then let it out in a violent verbal blast.

Before I took the imigran and the prophylactic, I'd always thought that I could eventually control my headaches through gaining insights into the emotional causes but this has proven that drugs can lead to those insights by slowing down the body and not the other way round i.e. insights controlling the situation, physically.

(Moderator note - not sure if this should be here or in medical forum)