Science Forums

I would like to talk about lucid dreams...

ShaoLinBastard

all dreams pretty much are dillusional.

since all dreams are, are pretty much random impulses sent by your brain stem every 90 minutes or so to the front part of your brain...which the frontal lobe (i believe is what it's called) is left to decode.

random things from your mind jumbled up together, and your mind trying to make sense of it. that's a dream.

a lot of people believe and argue that dreams allude to every day life..and actually MEAN something. and the reason to this, I THINK, is because most dreams involve things from your life. things you see, experience. people you know...etc. those things sent right up your brain stem!

lucid dreaming is dreaming where you can control every single parameter about your dream. you are concious within your subconcious. it's truly fascinating...F*#K!&$ amazing if you ask me.

I personally have a reccuring dream about flying. The amazing curiosity of this dream is I have complete control of my flight. I can take off at will and assend to any height that I choose. The neat thing about this dream is that I derive such a feeling of power and extreme joy while manuvering around while all my friends observe these airborn acrobatics. I havn't disccused these dreams with many people before, I quess I feel a bit embarrassed about such a silly thing as a dream.

I think that there are different types of dreams....dreams can bring so much to life itself; yet, it could be extremely dillusional...I would like to hear thoughts before I start making more comments...

this is related to astronomy... :)

Please see the sticky note in the Lounge about posting in the lounge. There is an explanation there as to what is required to gain access and how to apply. FWIW, topics headings aren't it :)

As for dreams, I read a book long ago that explained that one can control their dreams with practice. It explained how you could turn a fall in your dream into flight once you realized that you were in a dream. It took a lot of practice but I have been able to experience this. Once you learn to identify the dream state, while you are in it, you can do anything in your dreams. It really is worth learning.

i don't get it, why astronomy ?

i've been a 'natural' lucid dreamer ever since i can remember. this means i don't have to practice or anything, use different methods etc, i just realise i'm dreaming and decide i wanna fly or .... once a month or once every two months i have a full lucid dream. most of them i remember for years now, that's how special they are.

you can read and learn a lot Here

• 4 months later...

It seems that dreams are important for health. Its possible that they take an imprtant part in the "organization" of mental processes during sleep. Its is known that little babys (dont ask me the exact age) sleep very, very much and have REM (rapid eyes movement- when dreams occur). Why do babys have so much dreams? One possibility its that brain cells are developing on that phase. They need stimulation and so they "dream" as a kind of autostimulation in order do develop.

Indeed, dreams can be very useful for learning. Search on Google for "dream incubation". This is not bullshit. Dream incubation its programing your mind to dream with something. Sometimes i do that but it takes a lot of work and attention (and i just want to sleep). How can you learn with dream incubation? One example: one day i was searching for a solution when i was programming a game (simple programme since i dont understand almost nothing about the topic). I toke 2 days of hard thinking before i get to a solution.

One day i got into sleep (but i didnt make the dream incubation thing) and i dreamt with the solution. During the dream i remember to say "Its that! its so simple!" Then i woke up and thought on he solution and i realised that it was that. By the morning i put the solution (i mean, the command lines) in my pc and they worked!

More examples: its is known that some musicians, scientists, etc found their musics/theorie, etc, while sleeping. One day i dreamt about a very nice song (trance) that i never heard before. It was my mind creating it! It was amazing. From times to times i will find simple solutions to things, but not always. There is a very nice book from Gayle Delaney called "All about dreams". I really advise the reading of that book if you like such topics. There you will find a way to interpret your dreams, how to do lucid dreamind, dream incubation, etc.

About dream interpretation, Gayle Delaney says that many times its our mind trying to fight or avoid internal conflits in our life. If we know how to "read" the dreams we will have a better understanding of ourselves and the way to solve our problems.

About lucid dreaming: well: my first one that i can remember it was last year. All i can say its that is amazing! Sometimes you have dreams in which you say "i am dreaming". Thats not a LD (Lucid Dreaming). No, in a LD you really realise that your are dreaming. Sometimes you say it but you are not aware of it. LDs are so vivid and real, Jesus! very beautiful. I remember one LD in which i was flying and i could see in very high detail the leafs on the trees below me, the branches...everything! I was so aware of the fact that i was dreaming that i wake up!

If you really like this kind of things you could try something called Astral Projection (search on google). Astral projection its a kind of out of body experience. Its a real fact. Scientists know that its true, but for them AP (AStral Projection) its just an hallucination occuring before or after sleep (imedditaly after or before). People that have AP say thats its very, very real. So real that they believe hat in fact they leave their bodies. Truth or not, the fact is that many peole makes from AP a kind of hobby at night! Many of them do that for years and they claim that it will not affect your health in anyway.

About my experience, i had some "partial" APs (partial because i just left my body for some inches of distance). I remember one that it was amazingly real, even more than LDs. It was so strange but at the same time very beautiful. I got scared and then i came back to to the body (or if you prefer: i finished with the hallucination). btw, i am not here trying to convince you that APs are a real out of body experience. Just saying that some people do it, say thats its funny and not dangerous.

I hope that you have more material to study about dreams.

btw, maybe you will want to check out in the google this key words:

sleep paralysis (everybody has that, but just some people will notice that...i notice that thousands of times...its scary! but not dangerous)

hypnagogic hallucinations