Science Forums

Using Audacity

Ben

So, I am the world's least computer literate person going. But I have Audacity installed (running Ubuntu over Linux). It looks very nice, but......

I have a portable tape player from which I want to "import" (is this the right word?) into Audacity. I plug the headset output on my player into the mic input on my computer, and press Record - nothing!

It works for the standard Sound Recorder that is part of the standard Ubuntu package. But Audacity won't read the saved files either - it seems are .ogg files. Needless to say, I have no idea what this means.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a portable tape player from which I want to "import" (is this the right word?) into Audacity. I plug the headset output on my player into the mic input on my computer, and press Record - nothing!

First problem I see is that you are sending an amplified signal into an amplified input. Ideally, you would need a Line-In input on your computer. This would take the already amplified signal coming from your headphone output and convert it to digital without adding volume. Though, by turning the volume down low on your headphone out, you should be able to get a decent recording on the mic input.

It works for the standard Sound Recorder that is part of the standard Ubuntu package.

A couple things: Have you checked the settings of Audacity to make sure your soundcard is selected and properly configured? Also, what are you using for sound? ALSA? Check the Sound Recorder settings to see what it is using and select the same for Audacity.

But Audacity won't read the saved files either - it seems are .ogg files. Needless to say, I have no idea what this means.

OGG files are a compressed format similar to MP3. Unlike MP3 though, OGG is an open-source format. As such, you should be able to type "ogg" into the Synaptic Package Manager and download the necessary files to allow playback of ogg files.