Science Forums

How to make a terrarium?

Theory5

I got bored and so today I decided to make two closed terrariums and a moss terrarium (the last one with a salt shaker). So I went around providence, and took some potting soil from a few outside gardens (in front of the Builtmore, nothing that somebody put personal time into), and a few odd plants from the park. I should probably get started before the plants die, and I still need to find/grow moss. What else do I need to make a stable self sustaining terrarium? I figure right now I will start a terrarium and the look for a few worms, and some bugs and then make it a closed terrarium.

I do have some seeds, but I think the RA's might get a little upset because its from a plant closely related to hemp :-)

Does anybody know where I can find some others? I have a very small budget for seeds and everything else ($5).

and pebbles, I still need to find a few pebbles.

I think I can get activated charcoal to help things along a bit, but I will need to wait until my brita filter needs to be changed.

I love terrariums! Primitive plants will do best in a smaller terrariums. Moss, liverworts, lichen, ferns, all do well in closed systems often for months or even years. I saw some beautiful liverworts this weekend on a fish collecting trip up around Rockingham, NC. Centipedes are cool along with pill bugs, silverfish, small spiders and other smaller arthropods. You can go to a store that specializes in Bonsai and get some powdered moss that will grow and spread beautifully. Avoid direct sunlight on your terrarium and you should do well. Let us know how it does and post pics!

I will post pictures once i get some up and alive.

I am currently searching the Internet for some stuff, mainly small amounts of charcoal and powered moss or something. I havent found any small amounts of charcoal, and I have about another month or so before replacing the Brita filter, so I don't want to crack it open just yet. I will probably end up just opening it anyways...

EDIT: well that didnt take very long, I guess being bored for most of a trimester makes me impatient good think I had two brita filters. anyways there is charcol and some white round pellet things in the brita filter so that should be good for water purification.

and does anyone know the proper way to take clippings?

Clippings of what? different plants have different best ways to "clip" a pet shop would be a good place to find activated carbon, the carbon from brita filter could contain harmful substances, Break up some lava rocks to make a good substrate mixer too. Lava rocks have lots of pores similar to activated carbon and could be a substrate for the bacteria and such that soil needs.

Clippings of what? different plants have different best ways to "clip" a pet shop would be a good place to find activated carbon, the carbon from brita filter could contain harmful substances, Break up some lava rocks to make a good substrate mixer too. Lava rocks have lots of pores similar to activated carbon and could be a substrate for the bacteria and such that soil needs.

oh, well the stuff the brita filter is supposed to get rid of is copper mercury, and cadium. Nothing else, I have already made the base so I will see how it works.

Ok i finished making my first terrarium. I took an empty salt (or pepper I forget) shaker, which I had for some odd reason in my dorm, and I made one. On the bottom are these rocks I found in construction site sand, I have no clue what it is, but they are nice small rocks. They were in some greyish sand that I thought might have been concreate, but the sand acted as a little ramp so you wouldn't hurt yourself stepping off the sidewalk during construction. Anyways I washed the sand away and I filled the bottom with those rocks. Then I took a brita filter from my brita filter pitcher (not the tap one) and opened that up and put most of that activated carbon and what else in a baggie. Then I put a thin layer on top of the rocks. Next I took a paper towel, ripped a rectangle off and folded it into a square then stuck that there because the instructions call for moss, but I didnt have any and the instructions said it was to filter the water. THen I put some potting soil in, and then A small common plant I found on the ground. Its tiny but fortunately its still growing! I tapped up the salt shaker cap holes (on the underside so it doesn't look messy). I put it in the window sill and its already started to grow new leaves and press them on the glass. I also have a 40 watt bulb which I have it under right now and I am also trying to keep the plants alive that I gathered, but most dont seem to be doing good, I will try some cuttings for my next terrarium. Here are some pics! These were taken with my blackjack 2 so the quality is not the best.

here we go from imageshack

Imageshack - 21924240 - Uploaded by Theory5

Here it is

oh, well the stuff the brita filter is supposed to get rid of is copper mercury, and cadium. Nothing else, I have already made the base so I will see how it works.
I've long suspected (and worried) that silver might be a part of those filters:

So I googled: brita charcoal silver

...and came up with a lot of mention about silver (strong anti-fungal & anti-microbial) in those filters.

"The water still tasted bad so I bought a Brita pitcher filter. ... has silver oxide particles mixed in with the charcoal and it softens the water very well. ..."

"28 Mar 2008 atla032808- brita .jpg Darn if we know how much we spend each year on those activated silver impregnated charcoal to prevent mold growth)."

===

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any activated charcoal would be good to use (especially silver impregnated)....

If you can find anyone with an aquarium, some heavily-used [hence, de-activated] charcoal from the aquarium filter might be ideal for starting, stimulating, and maintaining a self-contained system.

Good Luck

p.s. I'd lightly rinse and "scrub" the used charcoal, in un-chlorinated, water to remove any external biofilm. It might smell for a while if you don't rinse the biofilm, but the pores of the charcoal should have enough biota remaining to promote a healthy balance eventually.