Science Forums

Short Term Karma?

RavenLydia

I believe that there is such a thing as short term karma. I know karma comes from the Hinduism way of life, but I think it is karma only for your next life that they believe in. But I get the idea that if you are in a peaceful state and you do good things for others, then good things happen to you on a daily basis. This is not about religion because Karma does not come from a religion originally. Does anyone else experience this daily karma that I seem to have? It almost feels like having good luck, if that helps clear anything up. I just wanted to read what everyone else thinks about it.:)

Yeah, I think there's nothing mystical about making your own social and psychological environment. The Golden Rule is present in pretty much all religions, and is present in pretty much all self-help books too.

For example, you project innocence, trust, and generosity well before the smiley face. (Saying that you believe in those things gives you away.) There are people who live in a parallel universe where those qualities are negatives. But that universe is invisible. It is only when those people decide to transcend the divide and disrupt your world--out of greed, jealousy, or simple malice--that you become aware of them.

In a previous life, an earlier set of short-term karmas, I was required to deal with people from that parallel universe. I found that by ignoring their anger and bitterness, by acting as if my world revolved around them and rules could be broken to cater to any whim they had, I could occasionally change those people. I wouldn't recommend that you try to control someone in the throes of road rage. There are a couple requirements to truly change difficult people. You must have something the difficult person needs, and you must have the ability to seem to break rules without actually breaking them. And beyond those, you must have lots of time and lots of patience.

But you are right, and I hope you continue to see here the generous attitude you create. Welcome to Hypography.

--lemit