Science Forums

Metaphors for Progressives

Rade

:doh: did you read the whole thread? do you have anything constructive to add, or are you just out to rattle the cages? :)

I was bantering a bit, not trying to rattle. I will be more constructive from here on out.

In reading the thread I noted that various sayings were being replaced by new sayings in an attempt to either give a clearer understanding while using a positive slant. When a metaphor is already well understood then why the change of language? That is where my euphemism/dysphemism comment came from. The change itself begs the question as to the motivation behind the change just as the want to change comes from dissatisfaction with the status quo and begs the question as to why it is what it is in the first place. See, there I am typing out loud again.

I do like the idea of positive slant to language.

Bill

Hi 'The Big Dog': Since I started this thread, I have been making the changes, not Turtle. This thread is meant to be a work in progress, a type of brain-storming session--and, yes, I really am trying to have this thread present possible metaphors for Progressives to use. Rade.

I guess they are both as a euphemism refers to function while a metaphor refers to format. These are euphemistic metaphors? Of course one man's euphemism is the next man's dysphemism.

Bill

way to poison the well bill; you're a peach. :thumbs_up

Poisoning the well - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A poisoned-well "argument" has the following form:

1. Unfavorable information (be it true or false) about person A (the target) is presented by another. ("Before you listen to my opponent, may I remind you that he has been in jail.")

2. Any claims person A then makes will be regarded as false, or taken less seriously. ...

you're on your own rade. good luck. :scratchchin: