Science Forums

Petroleum geologist?

lemit

The response to grpprod's thread has emboldened me.

I've been trying for about ten years to find a petroleum geologist who would do some testing on a farm where I've found oil on the surface several times. I've contacted reputable organizations of petroleum geologists but not got any results directly, although a couple of times a year after I've made my request there've been announcements of new drilling 40 or 50 miles away from my farm. I feel like I may have helped in those developments, but that's not exactly what I had in mind.

So, if anybody knows how to find a reputable petroleum geologist willing to act like a reputable petroleum geologist, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks.

--lemit

im not a petroleum geologist, but i play one online. :clue: :hihi:

i found this for you limet. :turtle:

Oil on my property? - Yahoo! Answers

OK, Let's just presume you do have oil on your property, and you own the mineral rights to your land (In the east you probably do , in the west probably not) it can cost several MILLION dollars to drill for the oil, so you had better have several times that underground to make drilling for it worthwhile for the oil company that drills for it. When I was buying oil leases from property owners it was presumed that each well would extract from the 160 acres around the well, and the owners would get their royalties prorated based upon the amount of land they owned and whether all of the land was part of that 160 acres. Standard for the industry (and not negotiable) the royalties are 1/8th the value of the oil and gas extracted, with a nice little bonus for the person who had the actual well on their property of enough free natural gas per year, to run a small farm.

Now if there was any likelihood that there was gas or oil in the area there would be seismic studies done and the oil companies would decide where they wanted to drill, and they would send leasing agents to lease your (and your neighbor's) oil and gas rights for maximum period of something like 10 years at a nominal fee of a dollar per acre per year until the decide to drill or not.

Source(s):

(former)Petroleum Geologist; Oil Leasing agent etc., etc.

I own the mineral rights. I have the cooperation of the surrounding owners of mineral rights. I haven't needed to cover those bases. My dad took care of that. He always thought an eighty I have now probably would be a good place to drill.

My great-grandfather, who bought and sold most of my farm at least once, always reserved mineral rights in perpetuity and ceded the rights to my father when my dad bought the various farms from other people. The mineral rights are specifically reserved in my successor deed to the farm.

Thanks, Turtle. Now, petroleum geologists?

Oh, also, there's possibly high-grade, low-sulfur coal under my farm. A vein was mined to a couple miles away and then abandoned in 1919 because they couldn't deal with the water. Natural gas is a possibility. It's been located a few miles away.

Any takers now?

--lemit

Thanks, Turtle. Now, petroleum geologists?

Oh, also, there's possibly high-grade, low-sulfur coal under my farm. A vein was mined to a couple miles away and then abandoned in 1919 because they couldn't deal with the water. Natural gas is a possibility. It's been located a few miles away.

Any takers now?

--lemit

i think i have been snubbed!! :clue: for all your writing between the lines, i get the sense you don't do much reading there. :turtle: call an oil company, tell them you have oil and want a well drilled. they will send the geologists. again with clarity. call an oil company. :clue:

i know an oil geologist, but in no uncertain terms i guarantee you will like him magnitudes less than you like me. send me a pm if you want his contact info. :cap:

reputable oil-geologist, is an oxymoron. :D . . . . . . :hihi:

You're right. I didn't see that anywhere. I don't know. I'd been blaming that on lack of sleep. Then I slept about 20 hours. Too much sleep?

Thanks for the firm but gentle reminder.

--lemit

:turtle: i luv ya man! :clue: this isn't my guy that i earlier mentioned, but he is a petroleum geologist claiming reputability & offereing the services you require. maybe in these tough economic times he can be had for a bargain. half a loaf better than none? . . . . . :hihi:

Gregory Olszewski Petroleum Geologist and Geophysicist