Science Forums

Crime and Chemistry

janelee

If you’ve ever considered a career change from chemistry to criminality, you had better think hard before swapping your safety specs for a balaclava. US researchers have developed a new technique for analysing fingerprints that could point the finger at you before you’ve even had the chance to pack your bags and flee.

The technique designed to analyse fingerprints at the crime scene, with no sample preparation, relies on desorption electrospray ionisation (DESI) mass spectrometry; a ‘soft’ ionisation technique able to maintain the integrity of the print.

Analysis of solvent droplets, sprayed onto the fingerprinted surface, can instantly reveal not only a standard fingerprint image but also minute traces of any potentially incriminating compound. This is a crucial difference to standard fingerprint analysis and potentially invaluable in differentiating overlapping prints.

To illustrate the power of the technique, the group focused on the detection of illegal drugs such as cocaine and THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) as well as explosive compounds. The technique could however be applied to any compound of interest.

Other applications, with perhaps less criminal undertones, have been suggested within the field of biomedical research. Identification of biological metabolites or other compounds in fingertip secretions could provide a valuable insight into processes happening deep within the body.

It remains to be seen if this technology will be used in practice, but we can be safe in the knowledge that chemists are on the case.

Dope the solvent with the analyte(s), cha cha cha. "The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!

• 2 weeks later...

How does desorption electrospray ionisation (DESI) mass spectrometry measure up with childrens fingerprints. As a forensic scientist my self this article interested me and I was wondering if any trials have been conducted using this method with the identification and lifting of the more volatile childrens fingerprints. Can it help extend the life of the print (as I believe a childs fingerprint in warm weather can be gone in 5 hours or less).

Sorry if I seem a little eager. Thanks.