Science Forums

Remote Sensor Technology

erich

Dear Earth science thread,

I would like to gather your collective wisdom on state of the art and near term developments on satellite & aerial remote sensors for agriculture.

I have a call in to be briefed by Dr. Kyle McDonald at JPL this week and will report back after that. I was referred to him by Dr. Paul Hepperly at Rodale Inst.

I'm new to the subject, I've read about a new moisture satellite, IIRC called Aquos , but I'm most interested to hear of any ideas for GHG soil emissions CO2, N2O, CH4, plant leaf temperature, Aerosol / photosynthesis interactions, and any proxy measurements .

I'm speaking , NEXT WEEK, at the first North American Biochar conference in Boulder and would like to add these technologie's potential to arrogate , validate and monitor soil carbon sequestration and crop benefits of biochar soil amendments.

Cheers,

Erich

• 3 weeks later...

The SMAP , soil moisture active pasive mission, will see soil surface temps and soil moisture to 3 feet deep, Surface & Root zone soil moisture & Carbon Net Ecosystem Exchange

SMAP: Mission

On the re-boot of the OCO (orbital carbon observer) we will be able to read the Carbon sources & Sinks from the tree tops down at 2 1/2 Acre resolution. it will join a constellation of other NASA Earth-observing satellites known as the "A-Train" that fly in formation and cross the Equator every afternoon. OCO will be the sixth satellite in the A-Train, joining five other NASA satellites: Aqua, Cloudsat, Calipso, Parasol and Aura.

A large enough array of other sensor technologies may allow zeroing in on particular GHG emissions,

N2O & CH4 & CO2 by absorption lidar.

Mid-infrared laser absorption spectrometers /diode laser based detection of CO, N2O and NO.

This seems to present a developing tool, along with other proxy measurements, for soil carbon.

My hope is the common bond of Soil Carbon will lead to program synergy for Soil Carbon Sequestration. The unity of purpose between NASA, USDA, EPA, Academics,Ag Interests, etc. etc.should drive these programs from the inside out & the outside in.

Agriculture allowed our cultural accent, and Agriculture will now prevent our descent.

Wise Land management, Organic farming and afforestation can build back our soil carbon,

Remote sensor success would level the carbon credit playing field. No aggregaters, testers, heck, a farmer will just check his practices on Google earth with certain rewards for good behavior.

Carbon to the Soil, the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.

Cheers,

Erich