Science Forums

Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence will radically alter our future

By Dick Pelletier

In his Life in the Universe lecture, super-scientist Stephen Hawking points out that evolution of our DNA is not keeping up with the amount of information being generated. But we are now entering a phase, of what Hawking calls “self-designed evolution,” in which we will soon be able to change and improve our DNA.

“At first,” Hawking says, “these changes will be confined to repairing genetic defects that cause disease, which are controlled by single genes. Other qualities,” he adds, “such as intelligence, are controlled by large numbers of genes,” but he’s sure that, “within a century, we’ll discover how to modify our intelligence, and even curb destructive instincts like aggression.”

If humanity manages to redesign itself and reduce the risk of self-destruction, we will be in position to develop space and colonize other planets. But Hawking believes this will only come about by creating powerful machines loaded with strong artificial intelligence, which one day, could even replace our DNA-based life, just as DNA may have replaced earlier forms of life on Earth.

A major intelligent machine project is underway in Europe. Spanish researchers at University of Granada have achieved a giant leap for robotkind by creating the first artificial cerebellum (the brain section that controls motor functions), with the goal of improving human/robot interactions.

Their creation will soon be installed in a machine designed by the German Aerospace Centre in a four-year project funded by the EU, which brings together physicists, neuroscientists and electronic engineers from leading European universities.

Researchers are building microchips that incorporate a full neuronal system, emulating how the cerebellum interacts with the human nervous system. This, they say, will help robots become more human-like when working in the everyday world. They are also constructing an artificial skin to give robots a more sensitive touch.

“Although robots are important to society, they cannot yet do most tasks carried out by humans,” says Granada scientist Eduardo Ros Vidal, “We have been talking about humanoids for years, but we still don’t see them on the streets.”

The following predicts a futuristic view of how our machines will progress in the decades ahead:

2015-2020 – $10,000 robots that read human emotions, perform household chores, and provide security are slowly being accepted as family members.

2020-2030 – $20,000 bots are efficient at most human jobs; some enjoy limited human rights.

2030-2040 – SuperBots outthink humans, making human-machine data transfers commonplace.

Imagine a super-computer-like hard drive linked wirelessly to your mind. An encyclopedia of information pops into your head and photographic memory becomes the norm. With computer-like abilities, you’re now a whiz at processing data. In fact, when faced with making a decision, in just seconds, you can run dozens or even hundreds of “what if” simulations through your mind. You then make the correct decision – always.

Most people welcome mind improvements like this that promise a happier, and certainly far more intelligent life; but some conservatives may find this “magical future” somewhat unsettling. However, while the contours of when this bold science will arrive may be a bit foggy, the map for how we get there is crystal clear. It’s only a question of when, not if.

This article, written 07/07/2009 will appear in various print media and blogs; comments welcome. See other articles by Dick at http://www.positivefuturist.com; click the “published work” tab.

super-scientist Stephen Hawking

Funny though you or Dick (i dont know if you are one, guessing you are, though just in case you are not, i will address both) call Stephen Hawking that, and don't get me wrong, i am in no way dissing him, he is a very fascinating person, certainly a great theoretical physicist, but i find it interesting that a survey done in December of 1999 ( Physics: past, present, future - physicsworld.com ) of 250 physicists around the world, Stephen Hawking didn't make the top 10 list (which was Einstein, Newton, Maxwell, Bohr, Heisenberg, Galilei, Feynman, Dirac, Schrödinger, Rutherford), and no he didn't even share the 11th spot (between Boltzmann, Faraday and Planck) Infact he got one vote of the 113 responded 1130 replies that were counted...

Something to contemplate anyways.

Also when you post something like that we really like to see links to the material you used. I would like to see links to the EU project and to something that highlights what exactly the guys at the University of Grenada actually came up with (artificial cerebellum may be a bit of a generalization).

Anyways, interesting stuff, and i'm looking forward to hearing back from you on this...