Science Forums

Project Natal and you

I was just reading my back posts and reaquainting myself with this community.. I hit an old question about which console would lead this current console generation.

I'd pegged Xbox 360

But as time wears on and so does the economy dragging its heels.. comes an update to the Xbox platform in the form of Natal.

It's, as far as I can tell, a motion controller and voice recognition system with brains in the device so as to offload the processing of visual and audio recognition. Though there was mention of it having further capabilities that sould like sonar or doppler.

Of course not much in terms of tech details is widely available, if they are launching it later this year, we can only expect that they do indeed mean for it to launch and succeed and for the 360 itself to survive several more years, well into the next decade.

That said, what do you think of Project Natal and how does it bode for you as a real product that consumers will buy into but more importantly in this chicken and egg scenario, that developers will be able to leverage it AND then manage to sell the device as a useful feature.

Or is it just 1upmanship which has no real place on an established platform?

It was said that Natal should be it's own platform, agnostic of Xbox or Windows. That you should be able to use it on both platforms. I agree. It would be far too limited as an Xbox only device, but tremendously useful on the Windows platform.

http://www.gamersyde.com/game_1855.html