Science Forums

Distortion and distance

The problems of evidence occur principally because of distance in my estimation, where the witness is reliable (level headed).

For instance I recently saw what was touted as a group of UFO's flying over London, which turned out to be distorted images of a squadron of planes. This is not only because film but also the human mind, in my opinion, reduce objects to a general shape, the further away they are, so that aircraft with wings in this case became balls of light.

It also happens with sound as coming back from a walk with the dog this morning, I thought I heard what sounded like a duck in someone's back garden. The closer I got, the more I realized that it was actually someone's voice, rhythmically repeating the same instructions to his pigeons or his dog but because of the distance my mind sifted into a simple sound and comparing it to others it had heard in the past, categorized it as sounding most like a duck (Like Chinese Whispers, the distortion altered what was heard, to create something else, similar in sound).

When it comes to Orbs and dust or insects, or the other fabled creatures - Rods, the claim is made that these are again distorted images but why does nobody take the trouble to experiment and prove that, using digital equipment? There are enough video cameras around and enough dust, plus it should be easy to capture a few insects of varying size and under various conditions (Has anyone else noted that Rods seem to be captured on film mostly in daylight and Orbs, mostly at night?). Could the problem be not equipment but interest in possible experimenters?

I've seen UFO's but while I could discount a lot of the sightings as possibly being something else because of the distance, the first one I saw could not be so easily explained away through its duration and detail (daylight/ big/ seen for several minutes/ moving slowly, if at all). I'm pointing this out to indicate that I'm not knocking the possibility of UFO's existing but pointing out the folly of believing everything seen is as it seems, when distant and that includes everyday objects.