• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arg. ok can't make menuconfig.

make LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 LC_ALL= menuconfig

returns

HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
/usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 080485c0
/bin/sh: line 1:  3919 Illegal instruction     scripts/basic/fixdep scripts/basic/.fixdep.d scripts/basic/fixdep 'gcc -Wp,-MD,scripts/basic/.fixdep.d -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer     -o scripts/basic/fixdep scripts/basic/fixdep.c  ' > scripts/basic/.fixdep.tmp
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 132
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

I've also tried

make LANG=en_US LC_ALL= menuconfig

and just

make menuconfig

Sorry, yeah I'm booting into a lfs-livecd iso on my hard drive. No package managers to work with. lol Plus I'm chrooted into it already at this point. The kernel and boot loader are pretty much all that's left.

The packages that I'm working with and some how could have messed up are

Binutils-2.18
GCC-4.3.2
Linux-2.6.27.4 API Headers
Glibc-2.8-20080929
Tcl-8.5.5
Expect-5.43.0
DejaGNU-1.4.4
Ncurses-5.6
Bash-3.2
Bzip2-1.0.5
Coreutils-6.12
Diffutils-2.8.1
E2fsprogs-1.41.3
Findutils-4.4.0
Gawk-3.1.6
Gettext-0.17
Grep-2.5.3
Gzip-1.3.12
M4-1.4.12
Make-3.81
Patch-2.5.4
Perl-5.10.0
Sed-4.1.5
Tar-1.20
Texinfo-4.13a
Util-linux-ng-2.14.1
Man-pages-3.11
GMP-4.2.4
MPFR-2.3.2
Berkeley DB-4.7.25
E2fsprogs-1.41.3
Iana-Etc-2.30
Bison-2.3
Procps-3.2.7
Libtool-2.2.6a
Zlib-1.2.3
Python-2.6.2
Readline-5.2
Autoconf-2.63
Automake-1.10.1
File-4.26
Flex-2.5.35
GRUB-0.97
Groff-1.18.1.4
Inetutils-1.5
IPRoute2-2.6.26
Kbd-1.14.1
Less-418
Man-DB-2.5.2
Module-Init-Tools-3.4.1
Psmisc-22.6
Shadow-4.1.2.1
Sysklogd-1.5
Sysvinit-2.86
Udev-130
Vim-7.2

Yeah, I don't know how I ever got Gentoo installed. Following the Jackass walkthrough with a Gentoo tarball shouldn't have worked. But for reasons I can't remember both Gentoo/Gentoo and Jackass/Jackass failed. I still want to go back to Gentoo eventually but at the moment I want to try out all the other 'main' distros so I can have a better frame of reference.

About LFS, after I posted the make menuconfig trouble, I bzipped everything and started afresh with the dev release candidate, 6.5rc2, and I am now compiling the kernel. And of course, since I am a minimalist (as in minimal deviation from default) it didn't take me long to configure. I'm still browsing for kernel optimization howtos, though because I plan to recompile it again later on when I learn more.

I think the kernel config trouble that I had was probably related to the LANG= and RC_ALL= parameters. The site says, "This is needed for a proper menuconfig ncurses interface line drawing on UTF-8 linux text console." Well, I'm using ISO 8859-1 because I had problems with UTF-8 during one of my earliest attempts, so I left them both out this time, and voilà.

Hope my kernel boots. :shrug:

Now that you mention it, I do feel pretty stupid saying that. But on the other hand, I'm not (or wasn't) familiar enough with Linux packages to know what I need. Next you're going to tell me that Slack checks for dependencies. :)

On the LFS front, it does not boot. I suspect my kernel somehow, obviously. But I did include ext* support (no compression yet) and I did include the proper stage1_5 file in grub.

root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.4 root=/dev/sdb1 usbdelay=10

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Seems you are trying to load a windows partition there...

uh ok, firstly your primary drive is hd0, secondary is hd1 so dont confuse

secondly the reason it gives you that is perhaps because when you installed windows, it was in the primary drive (hd0) but now you added another primary drive, so when the windows boot loader looks at partition hd0, 1 or something it probably hits your swap.

one possible solution, in menu.lst file for grub:

title=<insert windows name here e.g. Windows XP>

root (hd1,0) <The partition that your windows install is on>

map (hd1) (hd0) <this remaps the drives so that the windows bootloader does not get confused>

map (hd0) (hd1) <same as above>

makeactive

chainloader +1

No, it's ext3 on my usb stick, sdb1. I got stage1, stage2, and e2fs_stage1_5 in grub.

title LFS 6.5-rc2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.4 root=/dev/sdb1 usbdelay=10

So it's probably the kernel. I'll just comb back through the config when I have more time.