Science Forums

Study Chinese

windy09

Hi people,

I will appreciate if any of you could give me some suggestions on Chinese learning. I've been looking for a program that can help me learn the language in a easy and practical way. So that after the study I can use it immediately.

Thank you..

Hi Windy, and welcome to Hypography.

I've been wondering about the same thing, because with the imminent rise of China as a world power in the next couple of decades, it would be interesting to be actually able to follow their internal discussion through web-based newspapers etc., in the original Chinese it was written in.

Apart from my shared interest in your question, I have absolutely no idea about how to go about it, and where to find info regarding it.

But apart from that, at Hypo we intend to foster a community of like-minded individuals who all share a common interest - that of the world of the mind in general, and science in particular. So, following from that, your first post is intended as a sort of an introduction into the community, so as the rest of the community can get a general idea of the person sitting on the other side of the screen.

So, without sounding too patronizing, pull up a chair and tell us a bit about yourself!

I have a suggestion. Look in the children's book section of the library for a beginner book on Chinese. I've seen one. It will give you a simplistic description of the subject and get you familiar with it. The benefit in having a simplistic view is that the authors have to weed out all the complicated stuff in order to make it simple. That is hard to do. So, you have a head start that helps you from becoming confused and flustered. Then, perhaps one of those in the Dummy series is on Chinese. Its a good step up.