Science Forums

Hi from Sally Newell

sallynewell

Hello,

I'm Sally from Serendipity Media, Melbourne, Malvern East.

Apart from making brides beautiful in our wedding photography business, my interests include architectural abstract images, philosophy and the prehistory of language. I'm interested in aesthetics, alas as a keen amateur, due to the amazing amount of time spent on creating beautiful wedding images; and I'm seriously fascinated in how humans developed speech and communication. As my children have grown, I've wondered if their speech development phases could be used as some guide for mapping the terra icognoto of the last 2Myr or so of speech. If the Nariokotome boy (1.8M yr) had a narrow foramen and thus less volume in the long tracts and ?less cortex, and supposedly no understanding in his eyes, could he not have good communication and social cohesion with limited words and guestures.. enough anyway for evidence of care of the sick in that time frame? What is the border of what is human? Anyway, time to go back to Serendipity Media Photoshop! - wedding photography work never ends...