Science Forums

Flash, Firefox and Ubuntu

Okay, this is an update. Cable guy came an hour early and agreed that, though they do not support Linux we could try it ONE time. It connected! In fact my computer was on, we hot connected, and before I could down my system it recognized the connection! Like it was an 'of course'. You guys were SO right, and Windows should hang it's head in shame!!

Now...Skype is another adventure. I have headset, I have Skype, I can hear, it can't hear me. Mic seems hot, finally, but it doesn't record in Sound Recording or Skype. I have spent the last two weeks searching all over the internet, I find stories everywhere with people that have this issue, and very very few solutions, none of which have worked for me so far. So i am back wishing for an Ubuntu geek to show me the way. I have spent hours and am getting really frustrated.

I'm an Ubuntu newbie and I don't use my mic on my Ubuntu laptop (my built in mic will not even work for XP as the driver for it is for Vista).

My best suggestion is to search the Ubuntu forums. Have you read this thread?

Skype Microphone Help! - Ubuntu Forums

Other than that, can you give some specifics on what hardware you are using, system settings, etc.

most of the time, the sound levels for mics aren't brought up in alsa.... first of all, determine that you are using alsa, though with ubu, chances are, that you are, secondly, go into command line and fire up alsamixer, go through the levels, and make sure your mic level isn't set to 0, like it is by default... other then that, we would need lspci -v output and information on your sound card (make, model, revision) to even remotely guess if there are problems with your card, current alsa modules or if its something that is not supported, or if its a skype issue...

• 3 weeks later...

The world is my oyster and i get a big cookie.

It has taken me a month of working on it on and off, and finally I got the mic to work. It was one of those standing on one foot while pointing north, cross your eyes and say the magic incantation things, the steps of with I could not detail, but It requires that pulse me removed, then a configuration in what is left of pulse checked, then line-in not active and cd record not on, and alsa set just so and skype in a one off setting...but the result is tonight I could hear my voice over skype, I made a phone call and I am clear as a bell and the world is too!

Now, adding a webcam. From the forums I have read this has sometimes caused a loss of things, and I am running Intrepid Ibex, which it appears doesn't like webcams so much. But we will see. Then I move the dvd player/burner over and when it all works I will take myself out to dinner and have lobster!

I am learning a great deal, though still behind the curve. I can say that I have not turned the windows box on in a month. And after a few of my friends had to deal with confiker, while I just looked puzzled at the emails they spewed...I am very very happy.