Science Forums

One Line, A Thousand Points

A thousand points are graphed in the coordiante plane. Explain why it is possible to draw a straight line in the plane so that half of the points are on one side of the line and half are on the other. (Hint: Consider the slopes of the lines determined by each pair of points.)

N.B. You must prove this in general, not just for one specific case. I.e.: describe the process someone would take that given any thousand points, he or she could draw a line that divides them into two halves.

Show all steps used to obtain the answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the most trouble with the "show all steps used to obtain the answer" part. lol

Anyone have any ideas?

- Alisa

does the least square method equally devide the points in two? in general i don't think so... (altough i can't prove it :eek:) (my feeling is that, since the LSM is about the deviation of the line you draw, it doesn't say anything about the number of points)

what i think is the correct way is this:

- devide the set with a vertical line exactly in 2.

- Compute for each set the mean point (<x>,<y>)(that is: <x> = (x1+x2+x3....+xn)/n), idem for y)

- the straight line between the 2 mean points divides the points exactly in 2.

i'm quite sure this is the right way; a formal proof of why this works is tricky... (maybe later more :eek:)

Bo

Hey guys, I found a solution to the problem but I don't exactly understand it because of my diminutive mathematical education (I didn't start pre-cal yet). Can someone please explain it to me? It's #4, all the way at the bottom.

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=%22half+of+the+points+are+on+one+side%22&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&u=www.cs.rutgers.edu/%7Efarach/test2sol/test2sol.html&w=%22half+of+the+points+are+on+one+side%22&d=FF423545EC&icp=1&.intl=us

Thank you!

suppose we line up the dots from left to right accordingly, when 2+ points share the same x coordiante, we go from top to bottom.

a continuous "line" made up of line segments is formed.

now we have to prove that a line can be drawn in the middle line segment that does not cross any line segments other than the middle one.

since we draw the "line" from left to right, top and bottom, no enclosed area is form, therefore, the dividing line doesnt necessary have to cross other line segments.

i dont know if its good proof... hope it helps.

hmm i don't understand the site you posted either (altough it does appear to be a sollution :hyper:) (the site is written by computer people, not by mathematicians i think....)

anyway i am quite sure the following idea should be your basis:

with 4 points: p1, p2, p3, p4:

take the mean between p1 and p2, (m1) and take the mean between p3 and p4. (m2). The line through m1 and m2 splits the set in 2.

Bo