Science Forums

[News] Catastrophic Coincidence: Second Ever Example Of Contemporaneous Meteorite Impact And

Moontanman

Catastrophic Coincidence: Second Ever Example Of Contemporaneous Meteorite Impact And Flood Volcanism Discovered

ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2009) — Scientists have discovered only the second example of a meteorite impact that occurred at the same time as massive volcanic activity, in research published in the Journal of the Geological Society the week of Jan 12. The first time such a coincidence was observed, at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary, was the catastrophic event thought to be responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, 65 million years ago.

Catastrophic Coincidence: Second Ever Example Of Contemporaneous Meteorite Impact And Flood Volcanism Discovered

I wonder if there is any evidence that impacts actually cause volcanism. In the way that striking a sphere will cause damage to the opposite side of the sphere?

If its true that they have found evidence of a second such occurance, Deccan Traps being the first then I would say its looking like this reaction does take place. It would be like a 15 on the rector scale. :confused:

There are two other examples I believe.

On Mars, there is the Hellas Basin in the southern hemisphere. Quite possibly the largest impact crater in the solar system. Opposite Hellas, in the northern hemisphere, is the Tarsus Bulge, containing 3 volcanoes, including Olympas Mons.

On the Moon, there is a huge 3-ringed impact basin just almost out of sight on one edge, as we see it from Earth. On the opposite side of the Moon, there is some disturbed terrain.

I wonder if there is any evidence that impacts actually cause volcanism. In the way that striking a sphere will cause damage to the opposite side of the sphere?

Yes. Mark Boslough out of Sandia labs is an impact phyisicist and has given good evidence for such an event causing the Permian extinction. This thread discusses him & his work as well as other aspects of impacts. >> http://hypography.com/forums/astronomy-and-cosmology/9072-craters-on-earth-and-other-planets.html