Science Forums

Human Paradox

coberst

Human Paradox

The human paradox might correctly be said to be: Humans are the one member of the animal kingdom wherein many members consider themselves to be also a member of a supernatural kingdom.

I define a paradox here to mean a common sense view of reality that is a logical contradiction, which presents a problem that cannot be solved but only ameliorated in some way through the process of our comprehending its nature.

Because most, but not all, humans are possessed by this paradoxical world view we pay a heavy price due to our constant effort to preserve this “fantastic ambition” rather than understanding its source and making corrections accordingly.

As a member of the animal kingdom we consume to live. We have an appetite and in feeding that appetite we often kill and consume other animals. We feel good after we consume and we will do whatever is necessary to continue to consume and to live. We have an absolute attraction to Eros, i.e. we have a consuming desire to do what is necessary to preserve our life.

Good is that which promotes our life and evil is that which threatens our life.

Eros drives us to a desire to live forever. Our brain has developed to the point at which we recognize that we will die but we are driven by the urge not to die.

“Man transcends death not only by continuing to feed his appetites, but especially by finding a meaning for his life, some kind of larger scheme into which he fits…the “immortal self” can take very spiritual forms, and spirituality is not a simple reflex of hunger and fear. It is an expression of the will to live, the burning desire of the creature to count, to make a difference on the planet because he has lived, has emerged from it, and has worked, suffered, and died.”

Many humans express this common sense view of belonging to a supernatural world through their religious belief; however, even those who are not religious are often captives of the mind/body dichotomy that is so prevalent in Western philosophy.

I think that to deal effectively with this paradox we must become sophisticated enough to comprehend its source and to modify it at that point or not at all.

What do you think?

Quotes from “Escape from Evil” by Ernest Becker

Our own personal universe begins with needs.The infants world is very small and is compiled of eating and being touched and held, this is all that is known to them.

As we progress, needs as well as wants, begin to consume ourselves.Our wants are driven by what we deem necessary for us to be happy. Whether that be a new bike or fancy car. It is always about self.The vanity of self that would claim, I am the most important in this universe.How could I simply not exist after I die. The almighty me, would certainly have to continue on. This brief temporal existance cannot end, I must live on.

In order to passify self, we seek to find an answer as to what is beyond death.Religion can propose an afterlife or a mere transference from one state of being into another.For some, the essence of self can be weaved into the fabric universe as a means to continue self. And then there are those, content to lose self, that live each day, without contemplating the consequences of death, and live fullness in their lives.

Man transcends death not only by continuing to feed his appetites, but especially by finding a meaning for his life, some kind of larger scheme into which he fits…the “immortal self” can take very spiritual forms, and spirituality is not a simple reflex of hunger and fear. It is an expression of the will to live, the burning desire of the creature to count, to make a difference on the planet because he has lived, has emerged from it, and has worked, suffered, and died.”

The meaning, not for his life, but for self. The desire to count or make a difference is reflected back upon self. Narcissism is the driving force that leads to want for the supernatural kingdom

Never felt a need or want to live forever. Never felt a need or want to know why i live. Always believed all/everything has energy. Believe energy is ineraticable. Always had a couriosity and interest involving the aspects of energy.

"Life is without meaning.

You bring the meaning to it.

The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be.

Being alive is the meaning."

~ Joseph Campbell ~

originally posted by Sherry

Never felt a need or want to live forever. Never felt a need or want to know why i live. Always believed all/everything has energy. Believe energy is ineraticable. Always had a couriosity and interest involving the aspects of energy.

To believe in energy as an essence one can toss magnetics into the equation. As in Coberst's dichotomy of mind/body, there is the positive and negative force of self that either repels to follow the moral guide or attracts to be self serving. In choosing the latter, we may find we have broken with society and found ourselves in prison. From there, freedom being stripped from self, can often drive us to believe in the supernatural elements as a means of hope and escape from the current situation. But there again, it always goes back to self in order to fulfill the need or want.

originally posted by Coberst

I think that one substantial consequence of this mind/body dichotomy is that today we are left with a Sunday-school morality as our guide for adaptation of relationships in a high tech world.

Indeed we must follow a set of moral guide lines, not necessarily of Sunday school nature, but one that respects and cares for the self in humankind