Science Forums

[News] Microbe Composition In Gut May Hold Key To One Cause Of Obesity

Moontanman

Microbe Composition In Gut May Hold Key To One Cause Of Obesity

ScienceDaily (Jan. 20, 2009) — Biodesign Institute in collaboration with colleagues at the Mayo Clinic, Arizona, and the University of Arizona, reveal a tantalizing link between differing microbial populations in the human gut and body weight among three distinct groups: normal weight individuals, those who have undergone gastric bypass surgery, and patients suffering the condition of morbid obesity—a serious, often life-threatening condition associated with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and psychosocial disorders. Obesity affects around 4 million Americans and, each year, some 300,000 die from obesity-related illness.

Microbe Composition In Gut May Hold Key To One Cause Of Obesity

Very interesting we know so little about this.

Like soil bacteria & wee beasties, very hard to grow in vitro or in a Petri dish.

There may also be a lot of symbiotic relationships as well- a bugger to find and tease out.

Look at the Australian Nobel prize winning research on ulcers-caused by bacteria. Doctors for aeons where telling people "It's just stress".

I have developed some gut problems of late- very windy. :hi:

I saw the research on kangaroo gut flora and the attempts to introduce it into ruminants to reduce methane emissions (40% of NZ's GHGs).

:idea:

I wondered if I should go out and eat some kangaroo poo before I warmed up the earth another degree.?

:confused: :shrug: :shrug:

Helicobacter pylori is likely the culprit responsible for stomach ulcers-

from the Wiki

[Helicobacter pylori is a Gram-negative, microaerophilic bacterium that inhabits various areas of the stomach and duodenum. It causes a chronic low-level inflammation of the stomach lining and is strongly linked to the development of duodenal and gastric ulcers and stomach cancer. Over 80% of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic]

Michaelangelica, you may want to try charcoal as a dietary suppliment for your gastric problems, it's gotta taste better than kangaroo poo:eek: