Science Forums

Cold fusion

matrixscarface

Only possible mind you, not probable or certain.
I can agree with that but I am wary of loose expressions such as "valid science" that have an ample semantic range.

Sadly I am not an expert on bubbles collapse to tell you if heavy water would have been a better bet.
I'm not an expert on bubble collapse either but I can tell you that, if one wants to investigate the chances of employing the effect for fusion, what I said would be a perfectly logical step and perhaps in parallel with measurements on other fluid compositions.

I queried friends of mine that are more expert on fusion and one of them is still doing tokamak research in a national lab over here, but she is at Cadarache (http://www-cad.cea.fr/) for a few days. The guy that did reply grants that order could be a significant factor as well as temperature. Ordinarily a plasma temperature of 100 million kelvin is necessary.

I still tend to think the bubble effect is even less likely to reach a breakeven than with the muon catalysis effect.

I received my friend's reply from Cadarache, I'll just say the jist of it in English. She says that she hadn't heard of this but Oak Ridge is the lab Ralph Isler comes from, not that this rules out there being the odd jerk there, but she esteems that lab. Isler was one of her superiors when she was working in California, after a fire at the lab in Padova where she is again working. She also says the full criteron is the product of temperature, density and confinement time being sufficient. Thus inertial confinement requires higher density to make up for briefer time. Of course an even higher density could also make up for lower temperature.

This is what she said, I would remark that a temperature less than a thousandth of that in a tokamak, as well as the briefer time of inertial confinement, would sure require a huge density!!! IMHO, even if they can cause fusion I doubt they'll get a breakeven more easily than with laser confinement or other methods.

While I have not studied the whole cold fusion issue enough to answer much I have wondered if its possible the bubble effect is not related to the Casmir effect. In essence the bubble boundry in liquid forms its own shrinking conductive wall of sorts. If one considered lower internal quantum energy states than external the question might be asked would the signature of fusion and the thermo signature of such be the same as one normally would expect?