Science Forums

Problems with Vista and Wireless Connectivity......

Hey guys i just got an awesome new comp 4gigs ram dual core 2.2 ghz and an nvidia 9500gt ok i got a problem..... I have dsl internet at my house and my dad won't let me plug in the router he baught so we only have the modem in. So of course only one person can use the internet at one time wich of course as you can amagine can cause problems between family members... So what i did before with my laptop was serf off of my neighbors internet i had a great connection too becasue i am in a condo and there house is litterally attached to ours.. so i baught a linksys wmp110 rangeplus it is a g and g+/super g and she has a linksys router this thing is beast with 2 antenas ..... i was getting low connectivity on it Also when i was on my Laptop it would get random disconection issues. =( ... i have been talking with one of my friends and he was telling me about how vista transmits faster than xp when it is wireless wise so could it possibly be something to do with my neighbors router.... lol and don't get me started about thing being vista aproved becasue everything they can just slap that sticker on and they did that with my wireless card too. Can someone please help me with this problem because i don't think i will ever get that router installed in my house and dsl...... with a router..... omg it is slow enough lol.

Thanks...

one of my friends and he was telling me about how vista transmits faster than xp when it is wireless wise so

you can fart in his general direction :confused: it transmits at exactly the same rate... the network stack is slightly improved, but the transmission frequency and the speed of radio waves are exactly the same... you might see a tiny throughput improvement... not a lot tho

(course when is say "fart in his general direction" i mean that jokingly :turtle: )

with a router..... omg it is slow enough lol.

you mean 95% of all the other people that use dsl are slow? please... you wouldn't see the speed difference it with 2-3 systems...

i would say...

Also when i was on my Laptop it would get random disconection issues

probably because of the low connectivity

your wmp 110 is a pci card, how is it connected to your laptop?

the only ways i can think of improving your situation:

either get a router for yourself

or get an external wifi card that you can modify to use with an external antenna, modify it, get like a small 5dbi gain, and enjoy waay better connection to your neighbors... or buy your neighbors a set of 7dbi gain antenni and hopefully it will be enough to get you some better signal (assuming your neighbors are cool with you using their net... )

my wmp card is in my desktop lol my laptop had a internal intel wireless card i don't have model number or anything thoguh because i am at school right now.. but then why would i need a external antena the wmp110 has 2 external antenas. i did see alot of bad reviews on the card though but taht was after i baught it i am still wondering if i should return it and get a one with great reviews .. becasue one of the reviews on bestbuy.com said that they called support and linksys said taht their product was not fully compatible with vista and there were issues even though they slapped that stupid vista certified sticker on it.

A: try changing the position of the external antena, sometimes orientation can be a big issue.

B: move the antenna around: sometimes your location is in a "shadow" where the wave don't make it through quite right. This can be caused by airducts being in the way and causing an interference pattern where your system is located. The computer case itself often has enough metal in it to shadow the antenna if the case is in between the antenna and the router.

C: get an external antenna that's on a cord so you can move it around freely, which makes A/B much easyer to deal with.

D: check that other wireless devices arn't interfering; some cordless phones are close enough to WiFi Htz that they bugger the connection. Unplug wireless phones basesations from the wall power, and take the battery out to see if it is a phone causing the problem.

hope it helps

let me put it another way: move your computer 5-10 feet from it's current location, or since hyou have a laptop suffering the same issues, walk around the house with your lappy "refreshing" every 5-10 steps. draw a map of your house and mark how many bars you get at each place. There are usually "sweet spots" where the connection will be uber-good.

a typical gypsum/wood wall doesn't interfere with wireless but if you have METAL in between you are S.O.L. ducting generally only runs through a few small areas of walls, but if there is metal siding/flashing it'll bugger the signal to no end.