Science Forums

Leader of the pack

Tormod

Lance Armstrong, the cyclist who won the Tour de France six times, often came in first because he spent so much time in second. That is, he would regularly pedal right behind a teammate whose job was to obligingly break up the stream of oncoming air, making it easier for Armstrong to save his own energy for a sprint later on. Stock cars also often maneuver to be in the draft of the car in front, thus reducing drag.

A new study, however, suggests that this strategy of staying right behind a leader can backfire. Bikes and stock cars are rigid bodies which cast a definite wind shadow. But if the object out front is a flapping body, such as a wiggling fish, a waving flag, or a bird beating its wings, then the disturbed flow set up by the flapping can increase, rather than decrease, aerodynamic drag for the follower. Not only does the follower experience more drag---forcing him to expend more energy go keep up---but the leader feels less drag.

This hypothesis is difficult to test on living animals such as birds or fish so two scientists performed an experiment with tiny waving flags. Leif Ristroph of Cornell University and Jun Zhang at New York University used two flags. Instead of a stream of air they used a flowing soap film that allowed clear images to be taken of the complex patterns set up when the fluid comes past the flags.

The result was surprising. Not only was the drag for the following flag made worse by the swirling fluid, but the measured drag felt by the leader was reduced, by as much as 50 percent, below the drag it feels when it is by itself. This is because the commotion set up by the following flag can mitigate the drag felt by the leader.

Jhang says that it’s too early to confirm that for some animals-such as migrating birds and schools of fish-being the leader of the pack is better because it reduces the energy needed to counteract drag. So far the experiment has been carried out with two flags and with six flags, and Jhang and his colleague would like to study their ideas with real animals. He believes that his results might have industrial applications, where reducing energy input is almost always a good thing. P.F. Schewe

Source: Physical Review Letters, 7 November 2008

So, it sounds like the leader is usually the one that has learned how to do the most with the least amount of energy - the one that stays cool under pressure of decision making, without wasting energy on work, fear, uncertainty and doubt - even when facing the unknown. This individual in the pack, herd, flock or school is more likely to find the next place for the herd to eat or find safety from predators.

In competition, the leader is the one best able to judge and stay to his or her known best course in spite of the pressure of others to sway. Being second, third or fourth in the pack on the way to the goal would, in this case, be a side effect of an attitude of achievement.

The people in the lead typically share a mutual respect in common. Exchanging positions during the race is common. The final push is about finding the personal resources inside to be the best.

Another note: the "agony of defeat" idea promoted by ABC Sports in the 70's generated excitement to attract an audience to competition, but it suggested how the loser should feel.

So, it sounds like the leader is usually the one that has learned how to do the most with the least amount of energy - the one that stays cool under pressure of decision making, without wasting energy on work, fear, uncertainty and doubt - even when facing the unknown. This individual in the pack, herd, flock or school is more likely to find the next place for the herd to eat or find safety from predators.

You have left out the possibility of changing leaders. Not good. :) So, prompted by Tormod's article, your reply, and what I know of geese, here's what really happens in a flock of geese flying.

When the lead goose gets tired' date=' he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

=> It pays to take turns doing hard jobs, with people or with flying geese. [/quote'] full article & other goosy aerodynamic trivia: >> Synergy- Why do geese fly in a V formation? Leadership in Perspective

I will look up that link. One for you in exchange - how horses pick their leaders. Most people think the stallion leads, but the alpha mares are the ones that run the show. How horses communicate and sort out that leadership is fascinating study. The relationship between humans and horses holds even more value in understanding an extrasensory approach to leadership.

Epona Books: Tao of Equus

I will look up that link. One for you in exchange - how horses pick their leaders. Most people think the stallion leads, but the alpha mares are the ones that run the show. How horses communicate and sort out that leadership is fascinating study. The relationship between humans and horses holds even more value in understanding an extrasensory approach to leadership.

Epona Books: Tao of Equus

Roger & ditto on your link. Before I go on-topic, welcome to the forum. :) I'm just across the river from you in Vancouver. :)

So, to the races. I haven't heard of the female horse leadership role, but I have no doubt of the female role in humans. I often think if someone was paying attention to the leadership roles that terrorists' wives play, we might get a better handle on solving some of the problems. Alas, I suppose like stallions, the men must by all means give at least the appearence they are in control. I don't know if Sun Tzu ever said specifically, but by example, he led from the back.

On the article, I find a fundamental botch in the study by this bit:

This hypothesis is difficult to test on living animals such as birds or fish so two scientists performed an experiment with tiny waving flags. ...

Difficult? Tough cookies!! Flags are not animals and ever will it be so. Animals react -well plants too - to immediate conditions while also contributing to those conditions, and so I doubt any direct corallary to the "industrial applications" the authors claim. That said, I'm all for the flag experiments as I'm a bit of a flow experiment enthusiast. :) :)

The researchers will find little synergy in a flock of waving flags. Perhaps they will be able to prove more with wiggly living things.

Unfortunately, leaders are not always chosen for their authenticity or perceptiveness. The book on horse sense was written by a woman, but it carries a cross gender/race message about the role of sensibility and authenticity in relationships and making choices. It sure resonates with me, anyhow.

Essential to The Art of War is the art of consensus, otherwise, it is just an tool for the Napoleons to conquer the world. Consensus is a concurrence of senses, and if everyone has a role to play in making the world a better place, everyone needs to be "serene and inscrutable" in their senses.

The researchers will find little synergy in a flock of waving flags.

I more-or-less agree, but insoar as non-wiggly things go I think the flags are just peachy. :) Here's a thread on some aspects of flow, as well as my own experiments: >> http://hypography.com/forums/computer-science/6217-aero-dynamic-lubrication.html

Essential to The Art of War is the art of consensus, otherwise, it is just an tool for the Napoleons to conquer the world. Consensus is a concurrence of senses, and if everyone has a role to play in making the world a better place, everyone needs to be "serene and inscrutable" in their senses.

Very interesting comment Cascadia San. By all means start a new thread if you wish on this topic. I often quote Sun Tzu in this Hypog thread: >> http://hypography.com/forums/philosophy-and-humanities/4794-asian-philosophy-is-eloquent.html