Science Forums

'Sneakey' photos could steal your keys

"People will post pictures with their credit cards but with the name and number greyed out," says Professor Stefan Savage of University of California, San Diego (UCSD), who helped develop the software. "They should have the same sensitivity with their keys."

When Savage and his students searched online photo sharing websites, such as Flickr, they found thousands of photos of keys with enough definition to replicate.

The software could also use an image captured by a mobile phone camera to snap a quick picture of stray keys on a table top.

'Sneakey' photos could steal your keys (ABC News in Science)

They can have 'em;)

My key ring nearly qualifies me to be a highschool janitor.....I have more keys that go to things I no longer own than keys to things that I do have....Hay that's a pretty good giggle....can you Imagine someone going through all the effort to dupe my keys and figure out where I live only to find when they try to use them they're worthless.:)

Suggestion to all who are worried about this kind of thing get yourself a set of keys like mine;)

They can have 'em;)

My key ring nearly qualifies me to be a highschool janitor.....I have more keys that go to things I no longer own than keys to things that I do have....Hay that's a pretty good giggle....can you Imagine someone going through all the effort to dupe my keys and figure out where I live only to find when they try to use them they're worthless.:shrug:

Suggestion to all who are worried about this kind of thing get yourself a set of keys like mine;)

sounds like the possibility of a fun sting-operation.

Drive up in the latest merc/Cadillac leave keys to janitors room somewhere

Mmmm interesting possibilities.