Science Forums

The butterflies

Queso

That feeling of falling, or the feeling you get in the pit of your stomache when you meet someone amazing. You all know what I'm talking about...

what exactly is this?? I'm so intrigued...please enlighten me.

A simple Google search would probably give the answer, but sometimes it's more fun to try to formulate an answer on one's own!

My first thought was that it would be the result of some hormone release, such as epinephrine (adrenaline). And then I remembered having just read this...

"Associated effects [of temporal lobe epilepsy] include the abrupt onset of tingling, numbness or vertigo; motor-related manifestations such as uncontrollable staring or twitching; and autonomic symptoms such as flushing, nausea or the 'pit in your stomach' feeling one gets in a fast-rising elevator." (Martin H. Teicher, Scars That Won't Heal: The Neurobiology of Child Abuse, Scientific American, 2002, p70)

Maybe it is epinephrine since it is the autonomic nervous system that causes epineprhine's release from the adrenal medulla.

A simple Google search would probably give the answer, but sometimes it's more fun to try to formulate an answer on one's own!

Looks like it actually is epinephrine (adrenaline) ...

”However, during this ‘fight or flight’ response adrenaline (a stress hormone) causes your blood pressure to rise, which gives you that heart-pounding sensation. As this is going on your blood flow to the digestive system is reduced so that a greater supply can be directed towards the muscles, which then produces the feeling of butterflies in your stomach. “

(http://www.naturalhealthcourses.com/Reading_Room/Stress.htm)

“When we face an emergency, we are stronger and faster based on a surge of adrenaline. This hormone causes general increased muscle tension and accelerated body systems. This is sometimes referred to as our “Fight or Flight” reaction.

When we view public speaking as a negative (or emergency) situation, then our brain sends the signal to our body which causes the release of a flood of adrenaline. Our body reacts as it’s designed to react and those same physical reactions occur – increased muscle tension and accelerated body systems.

As you can see in the chart below, these same reactions cause the physical symptoms associated with speech anxiety.

SIGN: Dry mouth, nausea, indigestion, “butterflies”

SYMPTOM: Stomach tightens, diaphragm locks, digestion and saliva flow slowed

CAUSE: Increased muscle tension”

(http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/cde/anxiety/physicalas.htm)