Science Forums

Ship Designs and Innovations?

IDMclean

I was curious as to designs that people may have for Ships. Any kind that "flys" not like water ships but Aero and Space.

I've been having this idea for a Magnetic Dish Perpulsion. It would involve a more powerful magnet and << powerful magnet. The More Powerful Magnet would push against the less and cause acceleration in a direct... What's the fessiblity of this system. Short Comings?

I know the best part would be that it would be rechargable without landing on planet, moon, planetoid. Kinda like a Electric engine for space. Would it produce enough boost to fly in atmosphere?

Another Idea I had was Laser Perpulsion. Lasers are Energy. the would create push right? how much would be needed to be significant?

I've been having this idea for a Magnetic Dish Perpulsion. It would involve a more powerful magnet and << powerful magnet. The More Powerful Magnet would push against the less and cause acceleration in a direct... What's the fessiblity of this system. Short Comings?
Like lots of things, the influence of the magnets on eachother obeys the inverse square rule. Certainly if you start with them close together, one will push the other away, but it will slow down eventually due to friction/gravity or whatever outside force there is to slow it down. If you're thinking of moving the second magnet along with the first, you've got the problem of what force are you going to use to bring the first magnet close to the second again. If the two magnets are yoked together, there will be no propulsion, they'll just sit there straining against eachother. Don't see any way for this to work except in the same way that Verne described getting to the moon by using a REALLY big cannon...
Another Idea I had was Laser Perpulsion. Lasers are Energy. the would create push right? how much would be needed to be significant?

This is something that NASA has actually built. it does indeed push things up, but at this point the amount of power required to push a very modest mass makes it interesting but impractical. There are videos of these experiments pushing a cone up several tens of meters into the air, but it also suffers from the distance issue as even the best laser will diverge, meaning fewer and fewer photons can push.

Cheers,

Buffy

I accept that as a possible problem and can't prove it wrong as I do not have the means to build or test my theroems. However I will content that the forces though Equal and oppisite would push against each other.the smaller magnet I think would get the most push per cubic meter. (I'm not good with mag fields and such) but these magnets I think would be fixed. Acceleration would be controled by the distance between the Mags. One might be a Electromagnetic.

I figure it would at least work for taxian in Space. Don't know how planetary Magnetic Fields would work for or against so I don't know.

Rocket orginally were thought not to work in outer space because the Had nothing to push against. Physist neglected the fact that the propellent pushed against the ship and that's what drove it.

I think of it as a similar Idea as the Solar Sail and Ion Drives. Magnets act as scoops for there own fuel sorces. (also this drive now that I think about it could be used to grab fuel for another Perpulsion system.)

However I will content that the forces though Equal and oppisite would push against each other.the smaller magnet I think would get the most push per cubic meter. (I'm not good with mag fields and such) but these magnets I think would be fixed. Acceleration would be controled by the distance between the Mags. One might be a Electromagnetic.
There's no question that two magnets exert forces on eachother, so the basic principal is correct and it would work, it just wouldn't work very well. If you want to conduct an experiment, find an air hockey table or some well-lubed ball-berring supported trucks on a model train track. Obviously, if you put the magnets rignt next to each other, they will push away when you let go. At the same time, if you put them only a foot or so away from eachother and let go, they won't even move, since the magnetic force falls so fast. After the initial push, the second magnet would get far enough away that the forces on it would totally overwhelm the magnetic field emanating from the first magnet.
Don't know how planetary Magnetic Fields would work for or against so I don't know.... I think of it as a similar Idea as the Solar Sail and Ion Drives. Magnets act as scoops for there own fuel sorces. (also this drive now that I think about it could be used to grab fuel for another Perpulsion system.)

The main issue here is that tertiary magnetic sources would push or pull the magnet on the way towards them, but even if the polarity was reversed (suck on the way in and push on the way out, the suck and push would be the same amount, thus imparting no additional accelleration. You *could* set up a mechanism that works like the elecromagnetic trains that have been well proven, but this requires an external energy source that turns out to be the actual source of power. That is how Ion drives work, by feeding an electromagnet with energy, it can pump ions out the back of the drive and produce forward motion (yes, you can even scoop the ions up from space, but you'll need to pump more energy into the system to counteract the friction created from the scooping action).

Air hockey tables are really cool for this kind of experiment. You should find one and try it out with some pucks with magnets on top of them.

Cheers,

Buffy

coolness.

When I actually get a job I'll defiently remember to get an air hockey table.

People told me I was smart and I would get any job in a heart beat for so long that I actually believed them and now here I am nearly homeless and jobless... funny :o.

I got to get something right and proven and patient and sold... Make a bit of jink.

I may have some new Ideas when I get finished with my current theory of Fundementals.