Science Forums

Very Nice SharePoint Killer

I've been looking for something like this for a great long time, and i didnt even know that i was going to hit it up or find a solution that was this good, let me tell you the story though.

At work, one of our divisions constantly needs to share files with their customers, they continuously email files over and over and over again, and its a strain on both limited mailbox sizes and our clunky old server.

Another problem we have is shared email folders, once they were setup for convenience, now they are a major pain, and microsoft will move away from public folders in their next release of the server, so there was at some point a need to replace that, too.

Little did i know that there was a solution out there that seems like it will take care of both of these problems, and its not SharePoint, which is a ridiculously overpriced, but a nice product for content management.

Tis called Alfresco, you can visit them at Alfresco - Open Source Enterprise Content Management (CMS) including Web Content Management , its an open-source enterprise content management system, follows a similar license of MySQL, there is a community full version, no support other then forums, and they claim it to not be too stable, and an enterprise version of the app with stability and support :(

It does:

• Document Management
  • Web Content Management
  • Collaboration
  • Knowledge Management
  • Records Management
  • Image Management

Freezy, its basically information sharing, i don't know if you are familiar with the term "Knowledge Base", but i think that is what they are referring to, basically a way to share information and keep it in a centralized, managed directory, where it will be accessible to anyone. This is helpful outside of tech fields, but just as an example, i will use an IT dep-t. Sometimes you come up to find things that are rather quirky, and it takes you perhaps days to get it to work, what you can do is, knowing that you wont revisit this issue for quite some time, you can write up a document that will serve as a sort of refresher. You can do it in office, and save it to a shared drive, etc, etc, it is however, much easier to manage info in a blog-type environment and provide access that may be needed, only to people who may need it... hope that does not confuse you.

On another note, found a really good guide on setting it up on a 64 bit CentOS installation. Solutions from an IT Grunt: Secure file storage via the web - alfresco

Downloading the CD 1 of 7 right now :yeahthat: (gets me back to playing with cent too, i mean i use it on the webserver, but never played with it in a homey, production server environment :thumbs_up