Science Forums

Making DVD player Region Free!!

somebody

Hey guys, i been looking into region free dvd players but now i am considering buying a regular dvd player (i.e. pioneer), then using a hack to make it region free. I had few questions about those hackable dvd players.

I live in US and of course have NTSC TV and i want to watch PAL dvd on it. Now, once i use the hack and make my dvd player region free, will i be able to see my PAL dvd on my NTSC TV without the disturbance with the audio and video playback (what i mean here is that when i play PAL dvd on my regular dvd player, sound is all messed up where audio is few seconds ahead of the video)?

Second question is that, once i make my dvd player run on region 0 (region free), do i have to do that set up every time or just set it once and you are good to go?

and please do suggest a good dvd player within $125 that can play more CD and DVD formats and possibly DivX and/or avi. etcc..

Thank YOU

I live in US and of course have NTSC TV and i want to watch PAL dvd on it. Now, once i use the hack and make my dvd player region free, will i be able to see my PAL dvd on my NTSC TV without the disturbance with the audio and video playback (what i mean here is that when i play PAL dvd on my regular dvd player, sound is all messed up where audio is few seconds ahead of the video)?

Are you aware of what Region-Free means?

here is a reference for making your DVD Multi-Region (or region-free)

DVD Codes and Unlocks - Region Free DVD Codes Database!

problem is they charge for access to their database, hmm

well, to buy, you'd wanna look at places like: Multi region Code Free dvd player all region dvd players

Slightly more free database then dvdexploder, would be something like DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes

enjoy

Thanks for replying alexander.

I am not very knowledgeable in region-free dvd players and hack and what not, but i am somewhat aware of it.

All i want to know is that if i were to buy just a regular dvd player which is hackable (using codes provided from DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes ). Will I be able to watch my PAL, NTSC, etc movies on my NTSC TV (by watch i mean audio and video are "right on" because my old dvd player is not hackable and when i play my PAL dvd, i find that video is lagging behind the audio, i.e. i hear the sound of the gun then few seconds later i see bullet and smoke come out of the gun).

Hope, i am not making this harder?

• 2 weeks later...

I fear this enterprise is doomed. The problem is not de-regionising your DVDs to get them to play but lies in the incompatibility between the NTSC (Never Twice Same Colour) system and the PAL (Phase Alternate Line) system.

At a pinch you can get NTSC signals into a playable format on a PAL set but, as you have found, trying to get PAL to work on an American TV results in the problems that you have experienced with sound de-synchronisation.

If you had an NTSC encoded DVD that was not for region USA then de-regionising your player would allow it to play on your otherwise single region DVD player.

But it would have to be an NTSC DVD and not a PAL one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

The Vap.

I have a dvd player that can play both, though i know people that have a separate pal dvd from an ntsc one, you can get a pal player to play fine on some tvs, problem is pal also uses slightly different formats and refresh rates. But some Pal players made for NTSC tvs are really good at making everything really watchable... or just use your computer, software outputs a pal dvd and an ntsc dvd similarly, your graphics hardware decides how to display it, result, perfect image with both pal and ntsc. I play both on my computers...

I have a dvd player that can play both, .

Good. I stand corrected!

Great idea about using the 'ole PC though. I have a HD/DVD recorder (that's hard disc not High Def) from Philips and it is rubbish - when I archive-off a program from the HD onto a DVD it is OK but when I then put that finalised DVD back into it, the machine that made it remember, it crashes. The damm thing won't play discs it wrote itself! (Luckily they do play in my PC so all is not lost.) I plan to get a proper DVD player soon - they're only a tenner down at the local supermarket these days.

The Vap