Science Forums

Staining slides?

Ganoderma

ok, so i am pretty pathetic when it comes to MAKING slides!

i mean really, really BAD at it!

i dont get it. I mainly dealing with plant stuff, such as cells, leaves, flowers, pollen etc.

it seems i always either let not enough soak in, or too much or other things get dyed that i didnt think were going to soak it up etc....

anyone here experienced with it???

is there a specific order one must follow for colours, like this one first, then this one etc (for multi colour stains)?

also your favoured procedure would be great :yeahthat:

i have used up all my dyes this year, so i need to get some more...and this time i dont want to waste them (if ya know a good cheap source that has a good variety, feel free to let me know :rolleyes:)

thanks for any help!

i can only get up to 1000X so nothing too fancy. cross sections of many plant types, from algae to cacti to ferns to trees.

*mostly* wanting to get down to leaf cells, stem cells, get good looks at the xylem/phloem and transport areas, reproductive areas and pollen etc. from your reply, it sounds like it is far more complicated than i thought it was???

thanks for the link hilim!

what is your procedure, or is procedure different on everything? lets just pretend i am mostly using cross sections, for a start.

ok, i am not sure my experience would help you, i was looking on parts from many models plant in vivo to follow gfp protein localization, also i stained the cells and coloured them with some nucleus dye- i dont remember which, but i must say i just cut part from the leaf with scalpel? usually were no problems,

but when i had problems with the microscop the photos were less.

:evil: