Science Forums

Oxygen conversion rate.

clapstyx

Hi everybody.

I know there is a lot of talk about rising pollution levels and how that may cause a change in the climatic conditions of the planet and how industry is causing species extinctions and so forth (which I think is a more direct issue than climate change) but.. if there is query about the sense of climate change and its link to pollution then why is it being addressed on that basis..why dont we just compare the inequality between the amount of oxygen converted to CO2 (etc) and the amount created on a daily basis? Surely there can be no argument about the "is it or isnt it happening" and we can get on with the solution creation instead of getting hung up in scientific and political delays.

Its easy. The average household motor car converts around 360,000 cubic litres of oxygen to pollution every hour just compare that with how much oxygen that home produces from its trees and straight off you have a good idea of what the general state of progress is week to week.

What bothers me is that we seem afraid to cause deeper thinking on the issue and draw peoples attention to things like the amount of oxygen their car burns in a day because then theyve got to think about the solution and we pretty much know they wont be able to come up with one and then theyll get depressed because of the futility of the situation and we'll be responsible for the reduction in their peace of mind. Am I reading that situation correctly?

If that is the issue that stands in the way of a full picture of the reality we face being formed then its got to be resolved as part of the process as one of the first steps doesnt it?

why dont we just compare the inequality between the amount of oxygen converted to CO2 (etc) and the amount created on a daily basis?

It is difficult to do this with the environment as a whole. Here is some of what happens along with estimates of the rate it happens:

-source

The site says this:

The primary problem in our understanding of the current state of the global carbon cycle is reflected by the "missing sink" -- we do not know where all of the anthropogenic CO2 is going.

We can estimate pretty accurately how much CO2 humans are making, but it is more difficult to know how much O2 is converted to CO2 and how much CO2 is converted to O2 by natural processes.

~modest