Science Forums

Windows Server With Product Download

Ok, so here is my recent problem with this crappy distribution.

Have you ever had to purchaise a server license? Ok, i've done that before, and have had CDs shipped to me, but this time around, i decided, why not just download the stupid thing... but it seems that i have spoken a bit too fast, windows prevails in stupidity. :jumpforjoy:

So you download a self-extractable exe, and once you scan it for viruses and eventually extract it, you say "Oh ****, this will never boot! WTF?". And that is because, that's right, it's not an iso, it is the contents of the server CD, without the boot sector. So at this point you have a couple of ways out. One, just go with Linux, it's not only easier to install, more secure, better resource utilization, better stability, better network stack, which in term means, faster transfer speeds, but also it comes as a bootable ISO which means no headaches for you.

So the second, way, if you must go with windows, like the situation unfortunately in my case, you have to remember those 3.5 in dinosaurs, you have to make a bootable floppy, then fire up nero, and create a bootable dos cd, import the files that were extracted, point it to the floppy to create the floppy image, and finally burn the installation... boot into the cd, it will be just like booting into a bootable floppy, then go to the next drive, probably b or d or something, go into i386 folder and start off winnt to start the server installation process...

problem is, that, the hard drives in the machine are brand spanking out of the factory new, thus there is no os to "just install from". And there is no command prompt either, there is nothing to boot to. Infact there is no floppy or CD rom on that blade :turtle: at least i have a USB one... and yeah, i will tell you my progress tomorrow, when i actually go to boot this cd i've made :hihi:

I cant believe that MS could not just distribute a bootable ISO, you know, its a standard in today's world....