Science Forums

Why Gossip and Fashion really are Matters of Life and Death.

adriaanb

I had to think about that for awhile. The answer would come down to what you define as gossip (I think). I think you would want AI's to share information, so that would mean drawing a line somewhere.

As far as emulating human behavior --- well, humans are prone to fear and making judgments before considering facts. Toss those into some AI's and something's gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the term gossip covers more than I mean to say. The instinct for a gatherer is to signal you have the social information network that makes you the right person to trust with your 'secrets'. That is what gets you food because you look like you will be able to return the favour.

Just like status information among men, it isn't about the quantity of information but the quality. You know when some guy just happens to mention he got a raise of a bigger company car. It can be just a remark among a lot of chitchat. But it is one remark that may put pressure on others. Make them feel like they are falling behind. Signals have to be a bit subtle.

Like a status concious guy may 'feel' a remark about status, so does a female feel it when she finds out she was the last to hear something..

Just like status information among men, it isn't about the quantity of information but the quality.

"Dude!"

Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it? ;)

Buffy