Science Forums

Terra Mulata

Reading through the recent postings I came across a mention of Terra Mulata for the first time. It is associated as a secondary soil to the now becoming recognized Terra Preta soils. I do not assume that this is a particularly recent coinage, but it will surely now be used in conjunction with Terra Preta in scholarly papers. The attached abstract defines both terms and their apparent usage rather well.

This resolves an issue that was bothering me from the beginning and I think is now totally clarified.

It was obvious that a full blown Terra preta soil developed over decades, if not centuries and entailed a lot of ongoing effort every year. Yet it was also obvious that even one year’s effort gave you a productive soil to work with. Now we have a clear resolution of this problem.

Global Warming: Terra Mulata

• 5 weeks later...

G'day,

My spin on terra mulata was (and should be) a system of establishing an area for food production, tree/s were felled into a pre dug trench, sourounding vegetative material added then the lot covered with the pre removed dirt, humidity and bacterial activity would leed to spontainous combustion, the result a low grade charcoal and no terra cotta chards. (This could be used when clear felling or dosing regrowth, buried and fired. Expensive YES but what is the price of good healthy soil)( 1 acre or 1000 acres the cost is the same per unite and we have chippers and trenchers now)

Terra pretta comes into the "Law of total return" where a composting sanitation system, activated charcoal and activated silica is returned to the soil. Nothing is complicated in nature, it only becomes murky when academia manufactures these illusions to suck monies out of the society.

Regards,

Douglas.

• 2 years later...