Science Forums

Carbon Nano Tubes

dbostwick

Do catalytic converters have any relation to carbon nanotubes?
I acknowledge that uses for nanotubes, and patents, are popping up everywhere. However, catalytic converters ("catcons") as they are currently designed and made, have nothing to do with carbon nanotubes.

Catcons have been around for several decades. Originally, they were used in the petroleum refinement and synthesis industry. Then they became common in automobile engines as a way of removing NO2, SO2 and perhaps other contaminants from engine exhaust. None of these catcons used nanotubes--at least, until now.

Of course, in the future, who's to say? I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that some new high-efficiency catcon uses nanotubes.

I should have been more specific, I wasnt asking if catcon's used carbon nano tubes, I was asking if they created carbon nanotubes. Catcons take CO, NOx, and HC and strip then apart and reassemble them to create CO2, H2O and N. I was told by a friend who worked in military who claimed catcons created carbon nanotubes, and that they pose a very serious health threat. I was unaware that catcons made carbon nanotubes, and just came on here to find out.

I should have been more specific, I wasnt asking if catcon's used carbon nano tubes, I was asking if they created carbon nanotubes. Catcons take CO, NOx, and HC and strip then apart and reassemble them to create CO2, H2O and N.

And [ce]O2[/ce]

I was told by a friend who worked in military who claimed catcons created carbon nanotubes, and that they pose a very serious health threat. I was unaware that catcons made carbon nanotubes, and just came on here to find out.

As far as medical concerns are concerned, there is much debate. I've seen conflicting studies on this.

One study that I find interesting is outlined in the following news article:

ES&T Online News: Nanotubes persist in natural environments

As far as a catcon producing C nanotubes, it seems possible!

ScienceDirect - Carbon : Flame synthesis of single-walled carbon nanotubes

Flames offer potential for synthesis of carbon nanotubes in large quantities at significantly lower cost than that of other methods currently available. This study aimed to examine conditions for carbon nanotube formation in premixed flames and to characterize the morphology of solid carbon deposits and their primary formation mechanisms in the combustion environment.

My chemistry knowledge is not adequate enough to accurately extrapolate this study into a situation like a catcon, but perhaps someone else can help out here.

• 7 months later...

Hi friend,

Automotive catalysts use platinum, rhodium and palladium to speed up chemical reactions of pollutants such as nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons, to create non-toxic emissions. By using nanoparticles of the precious metals instead of larger particles, less metal is needed to produce the same surface area over the ceramic base of the catalyst.