Science Forums

UFO's - somebody else's problem or a question of perception?

I've seen a few UFO's but the best and least easy to explain 'does' have an element that may relate to the Oz factor. It was a daylight sighting of an object mentioned and illustrated in John Keel's book 'UFO's; Operation Trojan Horse'. It was long, black and like one of those short knitting needles, pointed at both ends. It drifted slowly between two banks of cumulo-nimbus clouds and was visible for at least ten minutes. I was still at school and it appeared over this establishment as me and some other kids were on our way home, which would have made it about 3.45 in the afternoon. It would be the mid-sixties, give or take a year. Now, this is the odd part, although I stood transfixed for this whole period of time, the others walked on as if nothing was happening at all (including the form captain, Brian Cattermole, my cousin Chris Noble and two or three others (Peter Woods? Chistopher Nunn? Knight?). When the incident was over, I joined them at the swings and everything carried on as normal. Years later I came across the term 'SEP' (Somebody Else's Problem) in one of Douglas Adams 'Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' books, which talked of the cricket wars and why only Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect could see The Ashes being stolen.

My question is, could the paranormal exist but outside the normal senses, in the same way that infra-red, TV and radio waves do, until picked up by a 'tuned' receiver (not to mention animals that can see/ hear far above the human spectrum/ range ). Could going into an altered state make the invisible, visible (Star Trek's cloaking device as used by the Klingons/ Romulans)?