Science Forums

A prodigious mind behind the numbers !!!

Jesusdpm

Wow, this is about the fourth forum today I've seen you spam with links to your one page blog. Why is it that you've spammed literally dozens and dozens of sites like ours with links to your blog that hasn't even received one comment from anyone? Please, go away! We're not interested...

P.S. No cross posting. One copy is more than enough.

I find the observations Jesus makes in his “MATEMATICS MISTICAL” blog page interesting.

Most hypographers are familiar with magic squares, n-by-n matrixes where the sum of the numbers of any row, column, or diagonal have the same value ([math]M_n=\frac{n^3+n}2[/math]).

Less familiar to me is that any square matrix filled “sequentially” (eg:[math]\begin{matrix}7&8&9\\4&5&6\\1&2&3 \end{matrix}[/math], [math]\begin{matrix}21&22&23&24&25\\16&17&18&19&20\\11&12&13&14&15\\6&7&8&9&10\\1&2&3&4&5 \end{matrix}[/math])

also has diagonals and middle row and column that sum to [math]M_n[/math] (eg: 15 and 65).

The proof of this is obvious, and as tradition dictates, left as an exercise to the reader :) (clue: examining the general form a connection between the formula for [math]M_n[/math] and for a triangular number [math]T_n=\frac{n^2+n}2[/math]).

An interesting result of the observation and its proof is that for squares with even numbers or rows - which don’t have middle rows or columns – the average of the sums of 2 rows or columns closest to the middle equal [math]M_n[/math], so the rule holds even for them.

I don’t think any of these mathematical coincidences suggest anything mystical, however. The cross, a central symbol of Christian and other religions and occult systems, is an unavoidable feature when considering rows and columns of rectangular matrixes. It’s also a common form in engineering, including execution devices, from which the Christian crucifix is derived. That these religions are founded on stories involving this particular form of execution, rather than another, is, I think, coincidental. That Christianity might not have flourished as a religion had the execution method of its origin story involved, say, the “inverted J” of a gallows, or some other execution device, is an interesting sociological speculation, but one having little to do with math.

The notion that fundamental mathematical properties such as those that give rise to the above coincidences are evidence of a pervasive divine nature embedded in is a popular one, sometimes termed Sponoza’s God. Albert Einstein stated in an interview that he held this belief. Conventional religionists, such as Christians, however, tend to consider these beliefs a form of atheistic heresy.