Science Forums

Hints of 'time before Big Bang'

C1ay

A team of physicists has claimed that our view of the early Universe may contain the signature of a time before the Big Bang.

The discovery comes from studying the cosmic microwave background (CMB), light emitted when the Universe was just 400,000 years old.

Their model may help explain why we experience time moving in a straight line from yesterday into tomorrow.

Details of the work have been submitted to the journal Physical Review Letters.

More at the BBC....

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get this. Can someone explain the following:

Describing the team's work at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) in St Louis, Missouri, co-author Professor Sean Carroll explained that "a universe could form inside this room and we’d never know".

Just venturing a guess here....

It looks to me like they are saying a new universe could bubble off from our own universe from empty space right in the room you're sitting in. You wouldn't even notice it, it would just be empty space occupying the same empty space that's there now. The new universe would begin in the same ordered state as the space it bubbled off from. It is basically an assumption that a universe begins its life in the ordered state of its parent universe and moves from order to disorder on the axis of time. IMO its more speculation at this point than theory.

Just venturing a guess here....

It looks to me like they are saying a new universe could bubble off from our own universe from empty space right in the room you're sitting in. You wouldn't even notice it, it would just be empty space occupying the same empty space that's there now. The new universe would begin in the same ordered state as the space it bubbled off from. It is basically an assumption that a universe begins its life in the ordered state of its parent universe and moves from order to disorder on the axis of time. IMO its more speculation at this point than theory.

I have to say this idea is no better than M-Brane theory. While I have made it obvious that I like M-Brane theory and regaled some of you with the way it "feels/tastes" right when I turn it over in my mind I have been convinced it has very little if any evidence to back it up. This idea has no more evidence to back it up and it doesn't "taste" right to my mind either.:shrug:

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get this. Can someone explain the following:

I would wager that the guy who proposed it doesn't understand it yet either. A very interesting theory. It seems like he is also a multi-verse person and looking for validation of that as well.

Bill