Science Forums

"Aquatic Trees"

I would like to find out about trees that grow in permanent standing or flowing water. I have grown Water Tupelo(Nyssa aquatica), Bald Cypress ( Taxodium distichum), Pond Cypress (Taxodium ascendens), and Pond Apple (Annona glabra). Does anyone else have any trees in their area that will grow in permanently standing water?

How about some of you guys and gals that live around our planet giving me a few examples of trees that live in permanently standing water. I have heard of a palm tree that not only will grow in water the seed actually sprouts in water up to a couple of feet deep and grows under water until it breaks the surface to grow as a tree. I can't find it now but I'm looking.

How about some of you guys and gals that live around our planet giving me a few examples of trees that live in permanently standing water. I have heard of a palm tree that not only will grow in water the seed actually sprouts in water up to a couple of feet deep and grows under water until it breaks the surface to grow as a tree. I can't find it now but I'm looking.

I noticed you didn't comment on Weeping Willow when I mentioned it and thought you may have missed it. :shrug: I think a number of Willows can live in standing water. :evil: :cheer: :doh:

I noticed you didn't comment on Weeping Willow when I mentioned it and thought you may have missed it. :shrug: I think a number of Willows can live in standing water. :evil: :cheer: :doh:

I have never seen willows that would "Grow" nonstop in standing water. I've seen them survive for a very long time but eventually they die. The ones I've seen that appear to be growing in standing water are actually rooted in the shore and the trunk juts out from the bank into the water. I've tried top grow young willow trees in standing water and they always die.

I would have to add the whole mangrove complex.

Yes, mangroves are probably the best of all trees to grow in a captive water environment. Ponds, aquaria, swamps, mangroves live quite well and are very adaptable. I would rate them number one as to ease of culture, with bald cypress and water tupelo coming in a close second. the on negative with mangroves is they need tropical climates but in captive culture that isn't a problem.

More?