Science Forums

What exists outside our universe?

administrator

I believe it is possible that there is nothing beyond our universe and the expansion of our universe is simply the creation of more space, space that will simply be a part of this universe. But yet, this concept is mind bending. Does the universe need more space? Possibly its all the same space, but unoccupied and nothing is outside the universe, simply a figment of more space which we have concocked in our minds to explain what we are expanding into.

This really depends on what you define as the "universe". If you are talking about the Observable Universe, then it simply expands into more of the same (more stars, more galaxies) - because it is defined by the distance of the most remote light we can see (imagine a sphere with a radius of some 13,7 billion years).

If you define the "universe" as everything that can possibly be, then there is nothing into which the Universe can expand. This would make the Universe infinite (but not necessarily occupying an infinite space - simply all the space that is available!).

Another way to view our Universe is to consider that it might be a part of a larger universe in which ours is only a small part (like an island in the ocean). This is actually just a modification of the first point above. However, depending on how each of the universes came into being, their physical laws and properties may be different.

According to the Anthropic principle, we live in the most likely of all universes. This principle in fact requires there to be an endless amount of possible universes, some of which must exist "out there".

Anyway, we have covered this before in our forums so try to look back through the posts and you might find some interesting points.

Tormod

cern,

that is only one theory among many - and it is becoming rather outdated now.

To view the Universe as a bubble is in fact a very simplified way to see it. It is easy to argue that the _observable_ Universe has the shape of a sphere (because we find ourselves in the middle of it, and can see equally far in each direction in spatial 3D) - but you cannot from that simply conclude that the entire Universe has a spherical shape.

Here's a simple MIT Cosmology Faq which addresses the very question which started this thread.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

Why big Bang there's a bang after bang ....explosion after explosion but what my "incredible, ubelievable" SPONTANEOUS brain has come up is this:

Imagine a bubble gum, you blow the bubble there's all the galaxies in it everything its the universe, it pops up (BANG) and galaxies and everything spread even more and create a new bubble gum bars which will expand more and more at the end there won't be any gum left so it has to be "chewed" all over and blown up again.

Tormod, I think I'm getting into a concept of the theory you mentioned in the General Discussion about the " universe recreating itself" .. just maybe going back in time sounds too unbelieveable for such an enormous energy.

Did you drink too much bubbly last night? ;)

If we accept a theory of a never-ending series of Big Bangs, I think it follows that the Universe must be infinite. It would be difficult to find out which bubble was the "first" or "original" bubble, so for all practical purposes the Universe would be like an infinite onion...

The concept about the Universe creating itself comes from J. Richard Gott III's book "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" - a highly speculative book. It's not my idea. B) And frankly, I wouldn't give it good odds.

Tormod

• 4 months later...

It is very simple. the egg came first. Chickens evolved from reptiles, right? So something that was almost a chicken must have laid a chicken egg. Understand? I know this can mean different things when used in different contexts, but what is there outside of our universe? Is the universe infinite? Or is there an infinite amount of universes? Or is there an infinite amount of infinite universes? I'm going to shut up now because i'm starting to confuse myself

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Anomaly!

Yes, why not, indeed. The theory of the multiverse is very much alive in cosmology. Britain's Astronomer Royal Martin Rees has written about this in his book "Before the Beginning - Our Universe and Others". It's a great idea (but hardly provable).

Tormod

The multiverse idea, chaos fractals, and the holographic hypothesis are all attempts at explaining that there can be "no-thing" outside our universe, and that the term universe is as outdated as thinking that Heaven lay outside our solar system, it is merely a convenient term used to describe our localized perception of phenomena.

Linear into non-linear.

Beyond the event horizon could lay naked singularities which collapse when the possibility that light will reach that point , in potential space time , and those that remain and dont collapse are there for potential dimensional improvements to our allready traversed universe ...... this potential for more space could be infinate or untill all naked singularitys outside the event horizon are consumed.

• 1 year later...