Science Forums

Microwave resistant heat absorbing material

paulecia

Hello, I am an industrial designer and I am searching for a material that will store heat when put in the microwave and will not cool down very fast.

I am working on an alternative to the hot water bottle and for the moment I have been told the wheat can work.

Any better ideas?

Thanks

Paula

this should work with some salts... I know they are using salts in a 30 Mw power plant in brazil or something to that extent. it uses mirrors to concentrate sunlight on a tower, top of which has capilaries with water that will produce steam to power the turbine, but their new 30Mw power station will have the top made of some salt that retains heat rather well.... i dont know if it would heat up in a microwave, though i doubt that it wont, then all you need is 2 conainers, some salt in the middle, close it all off, and shazaam, you got a microwaverable hot water bottle that will remain hot for hours or something like that :eek:

About the salts and the container...could this be oridanry cooking salt or do I need something special? And where could I get it?

Sodium is kind of hard to come by and is quite expensive for your intended use. Plus, it is extremely volatile and can spontaneously ignite in the presence of Oxygen.

I'm not sure if salt would work. I do know that salt water will cool faster than fresh water. :hihi: