Science Forums

PC for graphic design

Also, I intend to buy the machine with Windows XP, not Vista, but will that make a difference? Am I missing out by not getting Vista, or am I saving myself some hassles?

One thing to keep in mind here is compatibility.

If you buy/build the system with XP, everything should work fine. If you buy a Vista computer and then add XP later, you can run into problems with hardware compatibility. For example, I bought my laptop in November with Vista pre-installed (it was made to run Vista). I installed XP as soon as I got home and spent the next day or so trying to find drivers for everything and getting everything to work well. I never found an XP driver for my on-board soundcard, so it doesn't work unless I run Vista (for this reason, I made my system a double boot - ie I can choose XP or Vista at bootup). Keep this in mind when you are looking at components. You can go to the manufacturer's web site and check for drivers there.

well, if he is building a machine, i would give you over a 99/100 chance of having all the hardware supported :rotfl:

I would certainly hope so. :rotfl:

besides, if your audio card is not supported, you just buy a creative labs one :rotfl: (they are the best)

:applause: :applause:

• 1 month later...

I've decided to put the system together myself (although *I* won't actually be putting it together - just picking out the components).

Anyway, I've got a question about raid. It was suggested that I get two hard drives and arrange them in a raid 0 array. So I read about raid and it sounds kinda complicated and risky. My question is should I bother with raid, should I partition my hard drive instead or should I just get a nice big hard drive and lots of ram. I've decided on a quad core processor so will I have a nice fast system that can handle photoshop without the need for raid?

depends on what you are trying to accomplish:

deal is that raid needs to be done right, first of all you need a raid card, and not the one built into your mobo, because that is not a true raid card, i mean a pci-ex raid card, they are a bit on the expensive side. That's when raid gets performance, or reliability boost.

It's not complicated to set up, you would go into raid card firmware and create a raided drive, at that point your computer will see one drive, instead of 2 hard drives, what level you use depends on what you try to accomplish: (i swear i have written about this before)

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, but it can be more then just that

raid 0 - data is written across the disks in stripes, alowing for 2 simultaneous write operations to both disks. This greatly increases the speed, but as i said, really noticeable with a real hardware controller

raid 1 - what is written to one drive, is written to the other, this decreases your total space to one drive, but it provides redundancy, if one drive fails, the data is still on the other one

raid 5 - need at least 3 drives for this, but this allows for one drive to fail, the data exists on the other ones still (you can opt to have a hot spare here too)

raid 10 - need at least 4 drives, combination of 2 raid 1 arrays in raid 0, providing both speed of raid 0, and redundancy of raid 1 (you loose 2 drives in translation)

those are your most basic and commonly used ones, though you wont generally see 5 or 10 on machines, i can't say that i haven't....

raid is not really a need, it more of a, what you wanna do, thing :eek_big:

depends on what you are trying to accomplish:

It's recommended for photoshop. Apparently it helps to have a scratch disk because it makes the process faster, and apparently photoshop likes to have a scratch disk available. So there are a lot of recommendations for a raid setup.

raid is not really a need, it more of a, what you wanna do, thing :eek_big:

Yeah, I don't think I really wanna do it. I think I'll take my chances with the quad core, a big hard disk and lots of ram.

Thanks for your help alexander.