Science Forums

Xubuntu 8.04 on EEE, the small guide to

Useful reference for those who want to do it:

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on the Asus Eee PC [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

this is a really good rundown already, but it desires a bit more explanation, so here is a small run down for anyone who is doing this:

this is brief and is only meant for people who already know what they are doing with an os.

Some more tips from the pr....eeeh...me, from me

Download the alternate version of the install CD, it gives you a hell of a lot more flexibility with the install. Manually delete the first 2 partitions on the SSD, i created 2 partitions: 50M boot, rest (almost 4Gb) /

i still highly recommend ext2 for boot, its the most stable, and for / reiserfs is will probably pay off in the end.

Yes, this means that you don't create a swap partition. And i dont know why you would want to, prolongue the life of your ssd, make no swap, it will scream at you, but trust me, you will win in the end.

Order a 2gig ram chip from amazon or newegg, they cost like $60 and do wonders for system performance.

After installing xubuntu, first thing you want to do is run the updates, then visit the link above, or if you are really lazy:

sudo apt-get install bzr
bzr branch lp:ubuntu-eeepc/0.1 ubuntu-eeepc-0.1
cd ubuntu-eeepc-0.1sudo 
sudo ./ubuntu_eeepc.py -i

do not run the -g option

go into Application > Settings > Settings Manager

in there go through, change your default system font to 8pt, choose a theme that has a small window bar, choose a nice-looking theme color.

reboot, hit f2, make sure all your devices are on, save and exit.

when the boot loader comes up, and the 3 second count down starts for grub, hit escape, then e for edit, then hit down to the kernel line (second line down) hit e to edit again, go all the way to the end and type in "profile" (without quotes). press enter, and finally press b for boot, it will be a bit longer for this first boot, but all boots after that will be a bit quicker)

working on the kernel now, i want to see how small i can get it to be...