Science Forums

Democracy and morality

nutronjon

No, it is a human majority with an army forcing people to be subservient.

Laws of nature? Survival of the fittest, chaos and the unknown. :worried:

People band together to outnumber other bands. Family structure and indeed community structure is a symbiotic means of survival for individuals. Each for them and their own.

There is no 'one ring to rule them all' it is a fiction. Yet, as we evolve, the fiction, just like space travel, may well become fact.

Only if enough energy is spent in the pursuit of such a thing. Enough energy to overcome all resistance to the ideal.

How - it is a human majority with an army forcing people to be subservient.

Once you kill everyone who disagrees with the 'moral majority' - utopia?

You would argue the opposite, that there is some balance, some universal payback for this. So how does this universal 'symbiosis of thought' come about. It does not exist now.

Wisdom is universal, though not so common. Wisdom comes from experience and the passing on of experiential and observed knowledge. This is man made, and the closest to 'the truth' you'll find out there. :gun4:

Democracy began in Athens and spread from there. The US has no more claim to democracy than it has a claim to Christianity. Reading Greek and Roman classics is essential to understanding the ideology. Perhaps the most important pieces of this ideology is coming to decisions secularly, and doing so by consensus of people, rather then through a hiarchy of power over the people.

What is unversal is the laws of nature. Knowledge of them is not. We live in a very exciting time in history, because of the huge volumes of information we have and the ability to spread it. This has brought us to the beginning of a New Age. Unfortunately, before we can enjoy the benefits of the New Age, we must destroy the mental patterns of the old age. I hope in time there is better understanding of what I am saying.

My first point of contention is that one set of ethics should NOT be made into laws for everyone. My second point is that nature doesn’t decree ethics to be true or false. I've explained why these are the case and you have not explained why they are not.

Nature and the universe don't tell people to get married. Do you have any examples where human morality or human laws of ethics come from the natural laws of nature?

You are speaking of ethics based on social custom, and I am speaking of morals- the law of cause and effect dictated by nature. I spent a half hour replying to you and it got lost in cyber space. I want to thank you very, very much for making aware of how detached we are from nature, and why there is so little comprehension of what I am saying. I believe this the result of violating the laws with our industrial society. This violation of the laws of the nature has created an evil, and this evil along with our military weapons, makes us a serious threat to world. I can understand the Muslim reasoning for resisting this. You can't even think in terms of nature, but write as though man were the altimate power and can do anything he wants to do. This makes you incapable of making moral decisions, until you realize you are effectively living a dream state of consciousness and need to wake up.

I have to add, if nature were chaotic, we would not have science. Religions are based on a belief in a God who rules by whim and demons as forces of chaos. The huge importance of democracy, is the Athenian philosophers determined everything happens for a reason, and even the Gods are subject to this reason.

It is just my opinion that, when Humanity Evolves far enough, (or some part of Humanity Evolves far enough), Individually, in Co-operation and Unity with others of good heart and mind, We will experience, finally, the Great Flowering of Democracy.

Through Individual, but Socially Conscious Men and Women, who participate in Their Society, as though it was their own Family, the Enlightened Golden Age of Democracy will be manifest. Everyone will have a say and cast their vote for what they perceive as goodness and justice for all. The "Leaders" will be Advisors and the Legislators will implement the "Will Of The People". May the United States of America earn the right of being first in this Human achievement.

Respectfully Submitted, DAN 1 of the Third Parties Coalition and the First TriNar of Narbarism.

It is just my opinion that, when Humanity Evolves far enough, (or some part of Humanity Evolves far enough), Individually, in Co-operation and Unity with others of good heart and mind, We will experience, finally, the Great Flowering of Democracy.

Through Individual, but Socially Conscious Men and Women, who participate in Their Society, as though it was their own Family, the Enlightened Golden Age of Democracy will be manifest. Everyone will have a say and cast their vote for what they perceive as goodness and justice for all. The "Leaders" will be Advisors and the Legislators will implement the "Will Of The People". May the United States of America earn the right of being first in this Human achievement.

Respectfully Submitted, DAN 1 of the Third Parties Coalition and the First TriNar of Narbarism.

I have been thinking a whole lot about this. I am fighting to get my medicare insurer to refuse a bill from a doctor, instead of paying for it. This has become much more difficult than expected. Among the many problems, is the insurer and a newspaper reporter thinking I just didn't like what the doctor said, and so, in anger I don't want him to be paid. That he did nothing to deserve being paid, is completely beyond their understanding of my complaint. My insurer assures me I can see another doctor if I want to. They are being billed by 4 doctors, for one broken toe, and the insure will pay all of them and gladly pay for another doctor too. Excuse me, the problem should have been resolved with one doctor. This situation is nuts, anyway....

In my mind, as a citizen it is my duty to keep people honest and to prevent corruption. Thousands of people are going without medical care because of the high cost of care. We have forgotten that in our past, people became doctors because they cared about people and wanted to help. Medicine was not about getting rich. It was about caring for people. We seem incapable of even imagining this today. Doctors are processes us like cars on a conveyor belt, and the system is geared to paying them, it is not about being sure the patient has the required care and the doctor has earned his/her pay. We are extremely materialistic, in a profession that deals intimately with our lives, and now how to go from this materialism, back to the humanism that is essential to a healthy democracy?